Tuesday, February 15th - Friday, February 18th


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
February 22nd 2011
Published: February 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post


Jambo!!
I am sure you have heard this version of “hello” from our previous travellers yet I have never had the chance to say it and, since I am experiencing the free life right night, I will do as I please J

I have been put in charge of the blog for this trip to Kenya with the instructions to tell you absolutely anything that has happened this that day. So, yes, our flights were great. Not a lot of sleep, blah, blah, blah...

Yesterday, we were able to take it easy and did a few touristy things such as the Sarit Centre mall for some last minute supplies and also the Giraffe Reserve. We were able to feed the giraffes small pellets although they are not an animal that ”cares for friendships”, as the ranger informed us. So, we were all left feeling as though the giraffes had just told us they had a headache and just wanted to go to bed. No petting, no bonds and feeling a little underappreciated yet we didn’t fight it too much since we were so tired ourselves.

Now, let me start my blog as all of the above is just formality. Today, we were able to venture to our school in the Kawangware slums. Let me warn you that I will attempt to explain what we experienced yet it is impossible to really put into words. We started out by splitting our group into two vans where we sat back and opened the windows wide. Let me tell you, this was both a blessing, for the breeze, and a mistake for what we would encounter. Everything about Kawangware assaults your senses; the smell, only being the obvious assumption. I felt as if I was in a dream because only people in my wildest dreams could attempt to live in such harsh conditions.

First sight stuns you as you see the open sewage running along the road where people walk, cook and children play. Tin structures, they call houses, and businesses are one after another as far as the eye can see. People are everywhere. They are walking on the street, sitting outside selling useless items just hoping they will earn enough to feed their families today. There are goats and dogs wandering with no obvious owners and children with no obvious guardian. All you can hear is horns honking and people yelling. This is not the yelling you would think though. This is not bartering or even shouts of turmoil or accusations. They are yelling greetings at each other. They yell across the steady traffic only to ask how the others family is. Although there is nothing but chaos there, you can’t help but notice the sense of community and habitual everyday processes going on around you.

We were guided to the school by one of our Directors of Mercy Children’s Centre, Pius. What a genuinely kind man. Amongst all of the chaos, while I was with Pius, I felt completely safe. It was so nice to know I could just take in my surroundings while he watched after us all.

We walked through about a 5’ high doorway cut out of corrugated steel into the school yard.
First, we met the teachers who told us their names and what they teach. Pius then gave us a tour of the yard and classrooms. We talked to a few of the classes while they asked us to take their picture. The kids love to have their pictures taken because they like to see on the screen. As soon as they see a camera they swarm you.

We were able to play with the younger kids for about a half hour before lunch. They love to give high fives, hand shakes and thumbs up. It’s a lot of work when you have 20 children swarm you all wanting a high five. Some even come back for seconds.

All 10 of us were then taken into a small 8’ X 8’ room that has no ventilation in 30 degree heat to have lunch. They served the most amazing food consisting of Ugali which is a thick, pastey bread made from corn flour. The Ugali was served along with beans and Sukamawiki which is a shredded kale but it so amazingly delicious. It all sounds so simple but one of the most delicious meals I have ever had.

After lunch, some of the Volunteers brought a couple soccer balls, skipping ropes and misc. Items for the kids to play with while Todd (Dad) and I met with Pius and John to talk about all the wonderful progress we have made. After about an hour or so we were ready to go and take a bit of a tour in the slums.
After touring around on our way home to see where a few of the orphans live, we were able to sit and have a few Tuskers to relax at supper and wait for the remaining Patch Adams group to arrive. It was a great chance for us to get to know each other and just relax as we anticipate tomorrow will be a gruelling day with a 9hr bus ride from Nairobi to Bumala.

Around 11pm, the remaining members of our group had arrived. We got them signed into their rooms so everyone could get a good night’s sleep. There are a few people from Italy coming that do not understand English but luckily one of them knows both so she is able to translate for us.

Whitney

Advertisement



22nd February 2011

Thanks
Whitney. Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are having a fascinating time. Ernie Z.

Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb