Thanksgiving Break and Heartache


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
November 27th 2009
Published: November 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Living in a foreign country is just a way of life most of the time. However, when the American holidays come many ex-pats long for home. We do our best to gather with friends and make our own celebration and really, anywhere in the world we can think of numerous people, things, and situations to be thankful for. I hope all my family and friends back home had a wonderful celebration. I am thankful for each of you!

I am thankful for the team that came out from Colorado two weeks ago representing Global Hope. The group of 14 volunteers built an amazing playground for HOREC orphanage, painted the kids rooms, painted the new dining room they had paid for to be built, purchased food for the home and numerous other things, worked tirelessly pouring out their energy and love and made the 27 children and all the staff extremely happy. They brought presents of new clothes and shoes, toys and supplies that so many generous people had donated towards. The time with the children was priceless. Thanks to ALL who helped them get here.

Johnny and I ran around gathering supplies before and during their stay, prepared the lodging, took care of banking and many other details. As we spent time with the team and the children we also felt honored by their generosity and love. You all are a great group of people!

With terrible grief and heartache I must share terrible news concerning HOREC. On Thursday morning around 1 a.m. approximately 15 thugs broke into the orphanage. They were on a rampage coming from two neighbors’ homes that they had ransacked, beat and cut the people. All the people survived with multiple wounds.

HOREC staff and children knew nothing of the havoc going on down the road until they too became victims. The men must have been watching the property because they waited until the night guard went into his house (just a short distance away from the dorm) to escape the rain. They quietly approached the dorm, cut the electricity supply, broke the lock to the front gate and made their way to the corridor of the bathrooms. Between the bathrooms and the girls' room the wall does not go all the way to the roof. Two of the thugs found the space and climbed over the wall landing in the girl’s bedroom. They then got the door open so that the rest could join. With flashlights shining directly in the kid’s eyes that were awake they told the children if they screamed they would be killed. They were carrying axes and machetes. Some of the men cut through the boxes of supplies, some were yelling at the staff to hand over money and cell phones, and others dragged two of the girls to the storage room and raped them. One of the girls is 14 years of age and the other is 10. Both have come from sexually abusive backgrounds. The housemother was being beaten mercilessly as some of the children were climbing under beds to hide. Miraculously some of the kids slept through the whole ordeal. Then, as fast as they had come they left. Their whirlwind was like a hurricane that ripped through bodies, hearts and minds leaving a shattered mess.

It wasn’t until they left that the housemother found a cell phone they had hidden and frantically called Christine. Everyone was praying it was a nightmare from which they would awake.

Christine, her husband and the police arrived to find the chaos of screaming children.

Both the girls were taken to Nairobi Women’s Hospital and treated then sent back home.

One feels helpless at the situation. Questions go through our minds and frustration feels like a heavy weight. I know nothing can be done about what happened but I also know that we can take some action to help prevent the same situation in the future.

Christine and I were have made an urgent priority list:

1. We want a counselor to come to the site and counsel not only the two girls but all the children. It will be awhile before they can peacefully sleep through the night but we would like to provide as much comfort as possible. Hiring a counselor will cost $200 for a month.

2. Hiring a security company- The company installs “panic” buttons in the dorm so that if one is pressed, the signal goes straight to the security team and they are sent to the property within minutes. As the orphanage sits about half a mile off the main road and does not have many neighbors it is in a vulnerable area. Having a professional security team (this is a common practice as insecurity is high in Nairobi) gives one a small piece of mind that there will be trained professionals coming to your aid if need be.

A security company contract costs $100 per month. Perhaps you want to cover the orphanage for one month of the year or half a month. Whatever you can do will be a big help! I know it is not a sure fire way to keep thieves away but it will give Christine, the staff and the children at least a little piece of mind that there is a way to call for help.

Christine requests prayers for the home and for all involved. The ten-year-old said she recognized the man’s face that raped her. It is someone that she had seen walking by the orphanage. We are praying for justice, protection and healing.

If you would like to help with HOREC please send ITHM an earmarked check. We are proceeding with installing the system within one week as well as installing security lights on the outside of the dorm, repairing the broken locks, etc.

Thank you for your love, concern, prayers and support.
Jennifer and Johnny

ITHM
23223 S. Warmstone Way
Katy, TX 77494




Advertisement



27th November 2009

Heartsick
Jennifer and Johnny, I am in total shock. I am having a hard time believing this happened. The devil is a thief and a liar. I hate him. I bind satan in Jesus' Name in and around HOREC and loose God's Holy Spirit in and around HOREC. I pray God will restore all that the enemy destroyed in the peoples lives and in their home. Joel 2: 25. God bless the people from the USA that went before the tradegy that helped so much and God bless You and Johnny, Jen, for your obedience. I will continue to pray for all of you. Love and prayers, Sandy Swoager
27th November 2009

PRAYERS FOR YOU!
Dearest Jen, I, too, share your heartache over what happened with the children. I am sending a small donation to help with the security. You are all in my prayers and my heart for healing and justice to be served.
27th November 2009

I'm completely speechless.and in tears.I sent this to my pastors in Kansas and Houston to pray.I pray for yours and Johnny's protection.Did that young girl go back to states.The one that was staying there.
28th November 2009

Sadness and sorrow
Jen, I wept and wept over this. The enemies advocates are at war! I am so blessed that no one was killed...but those precious children's little souls were wounded so deeply. Paul and I are praying and binding spirits away from those precious souls....the spirit of fear and all that goes with it. We love you all and thank God that the home wasn't damaged or burned.
29th November 2009

sickened to the core
Jen and Johnny, I am so, so sorry for the great loss at HOREC. Praying for Gods mercy on the entire situation. I think your ideas to protect and restore are very good. May Jesus bind up the wounded hearts! Felicia and family
30th November 2009

Jen and Johnny I am very sorry to hear about the horrible stuff that happened. Poor children were in a place where they finally felt safest and now this horrible abuse happened. I will keep you and everone else in my prayers. God Bless all of You.
1st December 2009

Just Awful
Jennifer and Johnny, my heart goes out to you and our extended family at HOREC. Those girls played a very big part in bring Tim out of his depression. We are just blown away at how some people can be so cruel. We will do our part and help out. Our prayers are with you, Johnny and our HOREC family.
4th December 2009

I've been reading your blog for awhile and am always pleased to hear how much progress has been made there since our (Champion Forest Baptist - Houston) last trip alone and reading this horrific entry today is heart breaking. I will be praying for the children of HOREC, Christine, and staff. Love in Christ, Enjoli

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0901s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb