Clubbing


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
August 4th 2009
Published: August 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

There's a Monster in My Room!There's a Monster in My Room!There's a Monster in My Room!

This is the scary monster I share my room with!
I got to sleep in today! Today was maybe the first day I got to sleep in and not worry about people waking me up or having anything specific to get up for. Sarah is a great roommate because she knows I like to sleep, so she doesn’t do anything dumb like turn on the lights. Plus, she always brings me breakfast.

We took most of the morning off, just chilling and writing and fighting with the internet. Once we got hungry again, we headed into town. The man at the front desk said it was too far for us to walk, but we probably could have done it, though I’m glad we didn’t. We grabbed a bus, a Citi Hoppa, and headed in. Sarah made a cute friend on the bus, and he gave us directions to our destination, where we were getting our last gifts for our brothers. Then we found some fast-food lunch. Chicken sandwiches again (chicken-color this time.) The next few hours we just wandering around the Nairobi city center and taking in the sites.

Nairobi could be any big city in America, except there are fewer streetlights and more black people. It’s fast, there’s lots of traffic, and pedestrians just cross the street whenever they can. (We always waited until there were locals crossing, so we knew it was okay.) The buildings were big, and everything was paved (a great change from Mombasa and Kampala.)

We grabbed a bus back towards the hotel. On this particular bus, there was a mzungu “hawker,” someone selling things on the street. He was selling Bible studies. It was odd, because he seemed to be comfortable with Kiswahili, but also spoke English, only his English had the accent of a Kenyan. Sarah and I couldn’t quite tell if he actually spoke that way or if he’s lived here so long that he’s acquired the accent. He even made fun of the Kikuyu, saying “shirrings” instead of shillings, since they switch “r” and “l” sounds.

We played some Dutch Blitz and enjoyed a laid back evening. We’re mostly all packed, just with things we need for tomorrow still left out. We played cards on Sarah’s bed, since mine always has a tendency of acquiring things. Sarah is amazed at how messy my bed can get! Every hotel room, and even at home.

Dinner was downstairs. This
Last Night on the TownLast Night on the TownLast Night on the Town

David and Charles showed us a great night on the town!
hotel only serves “lacto-vegetarian” meals, whatever that means. It’s not too bad. Sarah even sweet-talked them so we could get food for half-price, since we’re not using the full buffet. While we were eating, another Kenyan friend, David, called us. He has just gotten off work and wanted to meet us. Within a few minutes, he was at our door with a cab, ready to whisk us into the city for our last night on the town.

He took us to a sort of club that we walked by earlier. It was super loud! Apparently it’s quite a happening place on the weekends and Wednesday, ladies’ night. He ordered some dinner, and Sarah and I ordered milkshakes. The server kept forgetting my order and eventually brought me just ice cream. Whatever. David filled us in on life. He works for the Choir here in Kenya, and was on tour with Choir 30, and also some of the aunties we were with.

A bit later, Charles called up and met us. It was a great night out with too very handsome Kenyans. (Good thing I got kissing practice yesterday.) The conversation was great, lots of laughing and story-telling.

It’s not-too-early-to-bed for us again to night, which is fine with me. We’ll have plenty of time to sleep during our 18+ hours of airtime in the next 48 hours.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0638s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb