Roaming the Streets of Nairobi


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
November 29th 2007
Published: November 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

rtp074-0889rtp074-0889rtp074-0889

The railway yards.
I spent the day wondering around Central Nairobi and am safely back in my hotel with no harm done. It can be done, but there is no doubt you have to be wary. Anyone spontaneously wanting to talk to you is after money, and there are some streets to stay well clear of, although those east of Moi Avenue seem to be generally safer.

I'm staying in the aptly named Comfort Hotel. It is pleasant, with excellent staff, good security, reasonable prices, and a twenty-four hour restaurant on the first floor. Internet access is a little pricey at about 1GBP an hour instead of the usual 50p, but the convenience cannot be beaten.

In the morning I strolled over to the Kenyatta International Conference Centre (KICC), where I found an Iranian Expo in progress with a wonderful selection of stalls on the first floor. I took the plunge and went Christmas shopping there and bargained my way into a nice little selection of goods. Afterwards I asked the guards if it were still possible to access the roof of the centre, which supposedly boasts superb views of the city. I was escorted into the main foyer, via a metal
rtp074-0890rtp074-0890rtp074-0890

Uhuru Park and the prosperous Western districts of Nairobi.
detector and presented to the information desk. There, for a fee of 400ksh (about 3.30 GBP after today's American led slump), I was led upstairs.

The modern elevators, took us to the 27th floor, where there used to be a revolving restaurant. The design of the elevators is a little odd - not something I've seen anywhere else. The keypad for selecting the floor you require isn't in the lift at all, but taher outside on each floor, where a simple call-button usually is found! Inside are simply door open and close buttons, plus an alarm. Most odd.

From the 27th floor several more flights of stairs were needed before we finally got outside and I was presented with a frankly amazing view, albeit slightly restricted by a wall. We weren't finished our climb however for my guide led me around to a small service door and up another flight of steps to an even more restricted outside gallery. More paces around led this time to an external, concrete, spiral staircase and finally the actual roof, and helipad. WOW!

Very little stood between me and the edge, although it was quite safe, and I stared and stared.
rtp074-0891rtp074-0891rtp074-0891

Kenyan Parliament building.
Needless to say, many photos followed. My guide was able to identify every building I asked about and I took quite a long time walking around the circumference. To be honest, I was loath to go back down again.

Back in the foyer I paused for a soda, which cost just 50ksh and sat and relaxed a while in the wonderfully cool cafe. A few feet away was a tiny bookshop selling such diverse titles as "A History of Mau Mau Rebellion" and "How to Toilet Train in One Day" ... all on the same shelf. Half an hour later I was sat in another cafe, this time the famous Thorn Tree Cafe, the supposed 'in place to be' for all Nairobi's visitors, and was charged 160ksh for the same drink! They've even uprooted the actual thorn tree, and replaced it with a tiny sapling!

All in all a most excellent morning however. I'll be sorry to leave.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

rtp074-0895rtp074-0895
rtp074-0895

Nairobi's CBD, with the Lonrho tower on the right.
rtp074-0897rtp074-0897
rtp074-0897

Nairobi traffic.
rtp074-0902rtp074-0902
rtp074-0902

A Sikh temple in the River Road area.


30th November 2007

Comfort
I just got back from Kenya and stayed at the comfort as well. The Kenyan comfort ROCKS!!!!
2nd December 2007

Birds eye view of Nairobi.
please post some of the pictures you took at the roof of the Kenya International conference center
3rd December 2007

Will do!
I took around 1500 photos this trip, all in raw format. It'll take a me a few days to process through them, but I promise I'll get some up here when I do.

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0669s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb