"The Mara"


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
September 18th 2005
Published: September 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

We are picked up at the Hotel Boulevard by our tour company. At 0800 we loaded the minivans with our gear and were introduced to our drivers/tour guides for the 3 days (remember we said 2 days earlier? Well, we packed for 2 days, i.e. 1 night, I suppose we’ll just turn our underpants inside-out on the last day) in the Masai Mara. Simon was our driver and guide; he would prove to be an excellent guide, but a good driver? The jury is still out on that!
Our first day on the Mara was spent mainly pushing our van out of muddy ditches in the torrential African rain, team building during physical hardship in uncomfortable conditions is something you should be paid for and NOT pay for, we survived that excitement anyhow.
Day 2 of the Mara safari was more than we could have asked for (except the fact that mouldy bread for breakfast and lunch was wearing thin by now). We saw every animal that you could hope for except for the elusive leopard. The thousands of dead wildebeest flowing down the Mara River were too much to take, as was the smell. That evening the Goat stew was really nice. During the aforementioned stew, our resident DJ and all round “cool dude”, Daze (no, seriously!), couldn’t handle the incessant piss taking and moved tables (could be something to do with Charmaine asking him how well endowed he was). Since this moment he hasn’t been quite the same with the bunch from our safari truck. Our third day consisted of travelling back from the Mara to Nairobbery. Our route was via The Great Rift Valley. Well, what an experience. Should be called the Great “Lift” Valley as Daze, our resident DJ, had his passport, credit cards, mobile phone and cash lifted by some friendly locals while his back was turned. Could have been so easily avoided but hey, that’s life innit?
After stocking up on the essentials in a supermarket in Nairobi, you know, beer, gin, chocolate, ginger nuts and water we headed to the campsite where an awesome tea was cooked for us with ice cream for dessert! Even Mona, the campsite puppydog, enjoyed the steak. After a couple of beers and a cup of tea we hit the sack for the first time in our Acacia tents.
*PICTURES WILL FOLLOW SHORTLY*


Advertisement



21st September 2005

hard stressful day
well i did nothing in work all day (very tiring)

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb