Week 3


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
September 19th 2007
Published: September 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Work at the orphanage continues to keep us busy - we're tending to do the afternoon shift 1-7pm as this means that we can use the mornings to go out to town etc.
We've had a couple of opportunities to take the children to local clinics, and so have managed to see some of the health services offered...and compare them to the NHS!
The first place we went to was the local Children's Hospital - quite impressed by it; clean and brightly coloured...although the waiting room was far too small for everyone who was waiting for the clinic...
The other place we went to earlier this week was the Kenyan Disabled Persons Association. The appointment was for a child with a club foot who has been wearing specialist boots for a while but needed a review as to whether she needs to continue to wear them. It was held in a therapy centre, divided into an Occupational Therapy Department and Physiotherapy Department. The girl was reviewed by the Occupational Therapist, and then we spent a while chatting to him about the similarities/differences between OT in the UK, and what we saw in Kenya...the fact that we used the same textbooks during our training seemed to keep him happy enough.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0759s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb