Nairobi


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
August 8th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone, sorry I haven't written a blog for a while - just didn't seem to get around to it! I left Zanzibar a few weeks ago and flew to the coast of Kenya (Mombassa) to meet my family for a couple of weeks relaxing beach holiday. We went on another safari and managed to see hundred of elephants, a couple of lions (from quite far off), a leopard, and lots of gazelle, zebra and giraffe. We also did a few other trips from the hotel such as a trip to a small island off the coast where we went snorkelling and ate an amazing seafood dinner.

After everyone left me again, I travelled to Nairobi on the overnight train, which was quite an experience! It was pitch black on the train for the whole night as the electricity didn't work (I was one of the only few people who had a torch as well!) - they did give us a light to use in our cabin, but it only lasted for about an hour, so we just sat in the dark for most of the time. The train was decorated in orange and brown, and was looking a little the worse for wear, but it was still a fun experience. In the morning the train broke down a few hours outside Nairobi, and we had to wait for another engine to come along and pull us to Nairobi - we only arrived about 6 hours late!

In Nairobi I have mainly just been relaxing - I went back to a campsite that we went to with the truck, and met a few people there to hang around with. That was fairly near Karen, the white suburbs of Nairobi, so I went to visit there and for the first time in Africa wasn't instantly recognised as being a tourist, which was quite a change. I have been staying in a youth hostel nearer central Nairobi for the last couple of nights, so have been into the city centre on a couple of occasions - fairly similar to any major city anywhere, but still definitely African! This afternoon I am going back to the train station to catch the overnight train back to Mombassa - hopefully it won't be quite as late as it was last time...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb