Nairobi: Giraffes & Elephant Orphanage


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
May 27th 2007
Published: May 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Two baby elephants?Two baby elephants?Two baby elephants?

Rach and a cute baby elephant with it's cuddly fleece

Elephant Orphanage


Visited the baby elephants which have been rescued from the surrounding area. We got our first glimpse of the African plains and National Parks. The baby elephants were really cute, especially the tiny ones in their fleecy blankets. With only a rope between us, we could stroke them as they chased past us for the football (good soccer players - better than the Baggies evidently!). The bigger babies came out to say hello. One fell over which prompted a hilarious game of pile on!

Our friendly personal driver for the day Steve aka Mr Whiffy(!) then took us to the

Giraffe Feeding


This was a great little park where you could feed endangered Rothschild giraffes by hand from a platform. They were huge! We fed them but Jase had to take up the challenge to feed them by mouth. Have you seen the size of giraffe tongues? Rach didn't fancy snogging one for sure. (Photos to follow!)

Fancy Dress Time!


As it was both Andy and Deb's birthday, we all went for a nice meal. The fancy dress theme was Maasai or Pirates, so we opted for the latter (jase is no Johnny Depp - ha ha!). Off to bed for early start on the truck Monday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Feeding timeFeeding time
Feeding time

Feeding itself some milk
Pile On!Pile On!
Pile On!

One elephant fell over and it's mates thought it a huge joke to play pile on.
Rothschild GiraffeRothschild Giraffe
Rothschild Giraffe

A friendly giraffe, just before it headbutted Rach for more food
Kissy KissyKissy Kissy
Kissy Kissy

Jase snogging a very friendly giraffe (hey Rach might get jealous!)
Bad kisser??Bad kisser??
Bad kisser??

Yuk! Have you seen the size of a giraffe tongue?


31st May 2007

Fleecy blankets
Heh! Remember to look in your shoes each morning when on Safari. xx
31st May 2007

Wow, photos
I can't remember what I put previously (about a minute ago, no wonder) but WOW, this blog has some goood photos. Looking forward to yours. Take care. Debra
1st June 2007

Rothchild giraffes
maybe you wouldn't want to snog one but i get the impression that lady giraffes walk around with a certain glow because of the size of there partners tongues. Its just me isn't it?
1st June 2007

Fun
Sounds like you're having a great time despite being cold on the rim oohh-eer missus. Can't imaging kissing a giraffe good job it was jase and not you rach!!!
1st June 2007

Hello
Good to read your blog. Hope you are having a wonderful time. It just isn't the same here without you...
1st June 2007

Amazing!
Sounds amazing, hope you got some pics. Keep living the dream and savour every moment. Really enjoying catching up with your adventures. Keep up the good blogging! Loads of Love Rachxx
3rd June 2007

Lost last comment so trying again. If you get it twice you know why (women and technology - Chris). Giraffes in the Lake District, giraffes in Africa, which is best? Africa i guess, no contest. Steph and Matt send their love. Steph is revising (bah, humbug), it's maths tomorrow. Keeping your end up at The Rodney. It's hard work but someone has to do it. Enjoy the Tusker.......
4th June 2007

yes its just you!!
Trust you mate!! but i do agree!! Ye the tusker goes down well, and the castle is good as well when there's no tusker. Carnivores is there but they don't do the fancy animals anymore, booo. I mean there was 1.8 million wilder beast and 1.5 million zebra in the serengeti ( our next installment but it was fantastic!!) but we couldnt eat any of em!!! Cheers mate.
4th June 2007

Fab!
Hi guys! Sounds like you're having a fab time, take care and i'll be in touch soon xx
4th June 2007

While You are away
A cople of things.... can you bring back some duty free - a litre of vodka and gin would be great. I have sold your car - got a good price from a bloke called S.Wonder - he loved the look of it.. I now have a new BBQ - stainless 4 burner job with a rotisserie..should be the dog's..would probaby do some great elephant burgers.. Oh..forgot.... hope you are having a great time..

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb