Day 233 - Out of Africa


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
February 20th 2007
Published: March 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After another repeat of the delicious fresh chopped fruit breakfast, we went back to the internet café. Perhaps we should have chosen a different one, because when we arrived they told us that they had undercharged us when we sent a fax to Russia a couple of days ago - unsurprisingly they hadn’t known the cost of a fax to Russia off the top of their heads. After nearly 2 months in Africa it was great to have our final usage of African internet, although to be fair in Nairobi it’s actually okay. It was even more great to get our blogs up to date as the last thing we’ll want to be doing when we get to Sydney is trying to remember what we got up to in Africa.

In the afternoon we had fun and games trying to post home the 5ft Masai spear that Ed had bought at the equator. We had thoroughly wrapped it up and then the customs woman said that she needed to see it. Thankfully she relented after Ed’s English politeness paid dividends and the spear should be turning up sometime next year.

We made our way to the hotel that most of our friends were going to be staying at once they returned from their 3 day Masai Mara trip as we’d arranged to meet up before going to the airport. We had a few drinks and aniseed balls and followed those with a slightly tearful goodbye (Gemma and Karen), and then tried to fit all our things into the tiny taxi. We were delivering a Malawian table to Sydney where its new owners, Dave and Carla, will be returning to once they’ve finished their travels in Europe.

The drive to the airport was predictably scary, and believe it or not the Nairobi to Dubai flight was pretty empty which meant they took the 30kg table without charging us any extra. Once on board we settled in to watch our take-off on the forward-facing camera which has to be the best of all the Emirates innovations.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.502s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 24; qc: 103; dbt: 0.3916s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb