Enterprise in Mombasa


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Coast Province » Mombasa
January 20th 2009
Published: January 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Guess who has joinedGuess who has joinedGuess who has joined

You didn't think I would leave Stimpy?!
This would be a really cool town if not for the touts and prostitutes. Ralf and I went to a budget beach resort mainly because everything else was booked out, but also with the hopes of enjoying the sun and sea. Only a few sparse clouds blocked us from the sun but between us and the sea... lets just say one of the 'city tour / safari' guys followed us into the water. That wasn't the worst of it! Like vampires, touts and hookers are not allowed on the hotel property unless invited, meaning you could still enjoy the sun as the hotel has deck chairs and a pool elevated from the beach. The most horrendous part of this was the old, fat Europeans we had to witness in ill-fitting bikinis and speedos. I vomit a little every time I think of it.

We got a chance to escape this one day with an acquaintance who happened to be home in Mombasa at the same time we were in. It is one those towns that you need to find yourself a guide if you want any peace and a good guide if you are interested in learning anything about the town. It's very run-down and overcrowded because of the recent mad influx of people coming to look for work but it has a pretty interesting history and a few cool buildings. I'd recommend it for a quick visit.

I think my most memorable experience here was our first Matatu ride (Kenyan bus). Safari, the night receptionist, agreed to take us into town to get our bus tickets to Moshi when his shift ended at 7 a.m. We waited a minute at the side of the road when I hear and then see a minivan with a nearly flat tire approach with a man hanging out the half open side door yelling 'Ferry, Ferry'- the destination of the Matatu. There are 4 available seats in the minivan that seats 15 plus a driver and money collector! No body else seems to be concerned with the flat and the overcrowding so on we go. Just in case you don't know, there are no lines on the roads here so it is pretty much a free for all with cars, vans, buses, and trucks passing on both the right and left whether it is paved or not. Strangely enough I was not afraid for my life because this is just the way it is here. People beep their horns instead of using their indicators.

Photos take eons to upload so I'm going to have to limit this..


Advertisement



30th January 2009

STIMPY!
Oh, I am so glad that you will not be completely alone once Ralf and you depart! Stimpy is a good friend. Be sure to take photos of him in various places for his scrapbook! :) I am so glad to see you are doing well and having a good time - hookers and near-death bus rides and all! XOXOXO

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb