Meh part 2


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Coast Province » Mombasa
January 22nd 2007
Published: January 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Had an awesome weekend since the last one, ain't been a quiet day yet, Friday we went to a reggae concert, me grace amy and emily. It was good, we went for drinks before down the Castle hotel which is like the poshest hotel on Moi Avenue.Pretty standard but comfy. Anyway i was pretty dehydrated and i feel asleep for most of the concert, alongside some random dude who was also sleeping.The girls enjoyed though, it was more a dj event rather than live music, not a load of people there so it was nice and chilled.

Nice to have a day off saturday, the placement can get fairly tiring and draining more than anything so a break is good.
Went to a market in bombolulu in the day, it was cool cos it was a crafts sort of centre but everything there was crafted by disabled people, really good place and we had this added tour of some huts/villages of tribes of kenya that was there, and we saw traditional dancing too, joined in as well which was awesome.

Went to Nyali beach yesterday, got pretty burnt and i got loooads of ruddy sunspots, despite plastereing ,myself with sunscreen. Got the sunspots right next to my death elbow of mosquito bites, so i wore a longt shirt today to try and not scare kids with my elbow which looks like its got plague!

Good time though, we went to the reef hotel and paid 400ksh to use the pool+ facilities there, nice cos the beach was full and we didnt have to worry about our bags and stuff.
Had a gander down the beach, got harrassed by people trying to sell me stuff(thats not an event or anything, that happens all the time cos your white=tourist=money for them) including offered to chase the white horse or soemthing(a slang term for drugs im quite sure) by some guy, mainly on the basis that after refusing politely to partake in buying goods from him such as keyrings and stuff, the last hope for him was to sell me drugs, mainly based on the fact my hair makes me look like a rasta. I got called that several times haha.
Last night then after beach we went to the cinema complex on the way back, and sat at the cafe there, and we had this smoke stuff which has nop tobacco or anything in it, but its flavoured, called a sheesha, was nice.
Work today was harder though, did the normal cleaning up duties this morning, got some really good pictures of some of the kids for the first time, will upload asap. Playing with the littles in the morning is the best, although they can be so clingy at times, you do appreciate it. The best photo was one of the two littlest boys, Mosa and Mwangi on the swing together, beaming smiles both. Then later mwangi peed on Poppy.Twice.
I have managed to avoid this thus far which is nice but like the calm before the storm, i await the moment when this fate befalls me, as it is sure to.

Writing this only the good bits makes it sound like im on holiday which is far from it, there are so many difficult parts at the orphanage and even on the streets when kids come up to me, and ask for change but i haven't given any of them anything because it almost always goes to getting them glue to sniff. Another bad thing is on my walk back from the matatu to the volunteer house, open rubbish tipped against walls, absolutely minging. Have to walk through Muslim parts to get to the house too, and they aint too bad to me but its pretty initimidating for the girls who are abused just cos of showing flesh.


We are thinking of going to Lamu next weekend, supposed to be
stunning, it was in that 100 places to go travellers journal, sounds
amazing, supposed to be untouched its an island off the coast. Think
i would have to get 2 days off at the orphange but its sounds worth
it, john and simon said it was amazing.

Random things i noticed-
Always getting woken at like 5.30 by some guy who shouts, i think he sells eggs john said but he ahs the most annoying voice ever-'ehh toot eh toothoo'
something like that.
Street traders always try and bargain at stupid prices, its stupid, they come down as soon as you say oh thats steep or something.Also, if i just bought a necklace in one stall, i dont want another from the next one!!

Cockroach in my bathroom(didnt scream)

Gecko on the Ceiling

Monkeys down the road

too many mosquito bites

The Sky is so much clearer, every night you can see millions of stars, which is awesome cos we have a rooftop terrace in our house!!

Buying an instrument i dont know the name of

Sounding like rainman while writing blog.
Other wonders!More to come soon, hopefully with pics!

Jambo Buana!

Lloyd

Advertisement



22nd January 2007

Awesome
Awesome Lloyd....Mother's Advice to Gap Year Student. Smoking is prohibited under any circumstances and whatever you smoke is not allowed ! Do not tell Mother anything you know she will freak over! Always tell the truth its the way you were brought up ! Keep outta de sun man..the malaria tablets don't allow it. keep spraying the mosquito apray especially at night. Keep happy , keep in touch and stay safe ....lots of love Mother xxxxxx
23rd January 2007

hi mate it's really great to hear you're settling in so well sounds like you're having a great time and doing lots of good as well.take care in the sun,i know i'm preaching but you know you've got to be careful i'd rather you come back looking like dale winton than a leper!!! all is normal here except for a strange abundance of apples and unchewed pens!,i'm still off work at the mo(aint life a bitch)got to go -painting to finish(yawn!!) speak to you soon keep texting,blogging,chilling and working you're doing a great job love dad

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb