I've been to Paradise


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Coast Province » Lamu
February 21st 2006
Published: June 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sat. was the greatest day ever. We spent it in paradise. After Swahili lessons and breakfast (7am-9am) We all piled into a dhow and headed to the beach. We went to a beach on Manda island. We had it practiacally all to ourselves. The beach was gorgeous. The sand was sooooo fine. The sky was a crystal blue. The water felt so nice (but unfortunately cause of the intensity of the sun we couldn't stay out long, and those that did got quite burned). We had lunch on the beach. Our cook made a fire as soon as we got there and grilled fish, made coconut rice and then a dish with cabbage and potatoes. It was delicious. After lunch a group of us went for a walk along the water. I've never seen anything so beautiful. I'm at a loss for words as to how to describe it to you. Along our walk we found several really cool crabs and watched Egan have a faceoff with one of them. =) Those things can bury themselves in the sand really quickly. I also got eaten by sand. lol... We were walking along and then all of a sudden I was up to my knees in sand. I had walked on a spot that only had water underneath it so I sank into it. That was pretty interesting. Because it was low tide there were lots of pools of water to walk through. We ended our walk when we got to the forest of Mangroves. We couldn't walk through them 'cause their roots come back up to the the surface and are sharp enough to pierce a foot. When we got back from our walk a bunch of us decided to lie in the shade and nap. I have never done anything so relaxing. It was a wonderful day on a beautiful beach. And it was so peaceful. If there was a beach like this one back in the states it would be crawling with people. This one almost felt like it was our own private beach.

We left the beach at around 3 or so (don't have a watch anymore, so I'm never really sure of the time). We hopped back in the dhow and headed to Taita ruins. The boat ride there was pretty long and quite interesting. We past islands of Mangrove trees (no land was visible). We
Channel through the MangrovesChannel through the MangrovesChannel through the Mangroves

On our way to the Takwa Ruins
eventually had to go down little channels of water to get to the ruins. Because of the tide they were quite shallow and at one point we all had to stand at the front of the boat on one side. We eventually had to stop and a couple of the guys taking us hoped in the water and went to go get a row boat.

While we were waiting we were passed by a couple sailing dhows filled with 'beach boys' and tourists - side note: beach boys are men (usually younger) that have decided to make their living by showing tourists around and doing things for them, but charging quite a bit of money for it all. They're also quite known for providing drugs and even sex to tourists. - One of the dhows that passed us reeked of marijiuana. We later caught up to them, but all three of boats had to stop cause the water was too shallow to continue. Soriaya asked if they were beach boys and one of them overheard her. They all got really really mad and said they were fishermen, etc. It got a little intense. But luckily the tension was diffused
Manda IslandManda IslandManda Island

From the beach near the Takwa Ruins
and everyone from the three dhows piled into the row boat and continued. Eventually though all of us just had to walk through the water (which we were told had parahnas in it - although I'm not sure if that was true).

It was worth it. The ruins themselves were not all that impressive, but Manda island was. During the tour we walked along the beach (which was again picture perfect) and then to the top of a tall hill. By this time the sun was getting close to setting so the view of the island was perfect. On one side it was this panoramic view of the beach and the open sea. On the other was a view of the the rest of the island and the Mangrove trees. In the distance we could see one of the sails from the dhow ship in the channel of water. I wish I could describe it better and share with you the incredible scenery. Even my pictures seem to have inadequately captured what we saw.

When we left the ruins we didn't have much sun light left. Luckily the tide was in, so we didn't have much trouble getting back out. It wasn't long after we set out for Lamu that the sun went down. Watching the sun set behind an island of beautifully green Mangrove trees while sitting on a boat in the Indian Ocean is amazing. It didn't take long for the whole sky to be dark and we were riding under the stars. ahhhh... it was perfect. It was the greatest way to end the day we had just had. I've never had and don't know if I ever will have such a perfect day. Like I said, it was paradise

Advertisement



21st February 2006

wow!
it sounds beautiful. you are a very lucky young woman to experience so much and to be able to see the beauty in the world. Wish you could post pictures! We've been in the east china sea, and it, too, was breathtaking. Be safe.
24th February 2006

Sauerlandgruß
ich bin sehr erleichtert und froh, dass es dir soooo... gut geht!!! Genieße deine Zeit in vollen Zügen und nimm alles intensiv auf. Viel Spaß weiterhin wünscht dir Hille P.S. pass gut auf dich auf!!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb