The Journey-Ch.4


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Central Province » Kinangop
November 4th 2006
Published: April 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

When Into Abba’s Arms was started years ago it first opened its doors to ten children. These children came from various backgrounds, homes and situations. All of them came because of the death of their parents and the lack of resources by extended family members to care for them. Some lived with Aunties or their sho sho (grandmother) or their siblings. All of those relatives had to say goodbye to their precious children when it was time to send them away in hopes of a better existence.

Here in Kenya, when someone sends their kid to an orphanage it doesn’t mean they do not want or love the child. It usually means they simply can not provide for their basic needs. Almost always there is a hope in their hearts that when the child grows up that they will come back “home”. Because they can not afford bus fare or the journey is too long, many can not come to visit. So they live their lives daily with the thought of the well being of their grandbaby, their nephew, niece, their sister, or their brother, with hopes that they will someday see them.

We at IAA decided it was time for a surprise visit to some of these relatives. We had business to do in a part of the country called Nyahururu. Three of our children come from that area. It is a four-hour drive, which in the states seems like nothing, but in Kenya is quite the feat….a trip that ended up lasting all day. We asked Nelson (our oldest boy at age 14), Eunice (10) and Gracie (10) if they would like to go see their relatives. It was like turning on a spotlight as their faces lit up. The excitement bubbled up through their hearts and filled the air as Nelson jumped up and down. Not a day has gone by that they haven’t thought about their loved ones, especially their siblings.

It was a week of anticipation for the kids as they waited for the departure date. On Friday we loaded the 4 wheel drive (Thank God for reliable vehicles!) with the kids, 3 staff, myself and Becky (another American volunteer). We started our journey first to find Gracie’s house. We had a very rough map that led us off the main road an up a long, winding and dusty road. After taking a number of wrong turns we happened upon a little village where we spoke with a very old “sho sho”. Out of respect you refer to any elderly woman as sho sho. Her clothes were ragged, most of her teeth missing and it looked as if she had skipped a few meals in her lifetime. She knew the names of Gracie’s relatives and pointed the way to her homestead. (Later she asked my colleague if she could come live at IAA but unfortunately she had to tell her that our home is for children).

After Gracie’s mother died she and her 2 older sisters went to live with an auntie. Since the auntie could not afford to feed them she sent Gracie to us, and one sister to the grandmother.

The auntie was not at home so we went to the local school where we heard she had a cousin and a sister. Her cousin Edith is 12. She saw us, along with a couple hundred school children and they all rushed to the gate to wave at the Wazungus (the white people). Edith recognized Gracie and ran up to meet her. They looked at each other and were all smiles. Since this is not an affectionate culture it is difficult when someone wants to show excitement. They shake hands but deep down you know they want to smother each other in a bear hug.

Someone had already told the news to Gracie’s sister Elizabeth so she had left for the 4 mile hike down the road to find the auntie at work. As we were driving to find her we saw a girl walking all alone on this lonely road. She looked about 13 years old, her green uniform was torn, exposing her undergarments, and her black shoes were ragged and dirty. We stopped the car and asked her if she was Gracie’s sister. Her big smile and sweet eyes revealed the answer to us before she even spoke.

Gracie was waiting back at the school with her cousin so there was still so much anticipation of being reunited. We drove down and found the auntie at work. She works in the fields for a factory and makes about $1 a day on which she must feed herself, her child and her niece. I understood why she sent Gracie to us and why the Elizabeth is wearing ragged clothes.

We introduced ourselves to the auntie and told her we would be returning later with Gracie to visit at their home. She could not afford to leave work to come home early.

Back up the road we went with Elizabeth in tow. We arrived at the school to get Grace and once again there were no hugs, a few words and a lot of smiles. Gracie is one of the quietest children ever and we soon found her sister to be the same. We promised to return after we took Nelson and Eunice who were both anxiously awaiting their turns to see their relatives.

Down the road we bumped and made a quick stop once again at the field so Gracie could see her auntie. The auntie ran over and embraced Gracie with tears in her eyes. We were all happy that she did not feel she had to restrain herself but could let the love show to this child whom she had tried to care for.

Next stop was Eunice’s house. Again, it was a long road and our map looked like a treasure chest map that you cut off the back of a cereal box. Amazingly enough Eunice remembered the roads, even though she was six when she left home.

Here in the country, going to someone’s home feels like stepping onto the set of Little House on the Prairie. There was a wooden fence made from trees, and a wooden house made from trees a little bigger. There were farm animals and fields and the natural beauty of nature.

We rounded the corner to find Eunice’s sho sho sitting in the grass. She smiled when she saw us and when she saw Eunice approaching she quickly got on her tired feet to give her a big hug. Ahhh…the joy of reunions! In a moment her aunties heard that their girl was home and by evening her brother and other relatives were quick to join.

She showed us into the wooden house that has newspapers, cardboard, and other random things on the walls to act as insulation. Christine (our administrator) spent the night there with Eunice and said the roof was not insulated so well. There were large gaps that allowed the cold air to pour right onto their heads all night.

Next stop was Nelson’s home. Nelson and a couple of his siblings were taken in by his grandmother after his father killed his mother, went to prison, and died. His grandmother couldn’t afford to keep all the children, so Nelson, being the youngest, was chosen to come to IAA. After leaving the main road and driving through what seemed like pastureland we found another wooden house. When his sho sho saw the car pull up and saw Nelson get out she brought her skinny little body over as quick as possible to see his face. She was all smiles, as well as his older sister and Nelson. This kid has one of the brightest, largest smiles and when he smiles, everyone smiles.

He was thrilled to see his older sister who has the same, perfect smile. He was so excited at the chance to get to spend a couple nights with them and before he came home he gave his sister his best pair of tennis shoes because her toes were popping out of her shoes.

Back to Gracie’s aunt’s house we headed. We stopped off at a store and bought some food as we knew the families can barely afford to feed themselves, let alone visitors. Geoffrey, our friend who drove us suggested that we also buy a blanket. We knew Gracie’s family might not have extra blankets. We walked to a market that was closing up for the evening and caught a lady that was putting the last of her blankets in her bag to go home for the night. We were able to buy a large blanket for $10 and it ended up being worth a fortune.

When we got to Grace’s aunt’s home we found out that the piece of land is for the poorest of the poor. It is a piece of land donated by the chief of the village for the poor to set up a homestead. We parked the car due to the lack of a road and traipsed through a field where we came to a small plot of land. We opened the gate to find 2 shacks and scattered goat droppings all around. In one shack there was light from a fire, and the other opened to a tiny room where we all tried to fit. There were hard, wooden benches and a candle. Since we couldn’t fit in to even sit down we decided just to leave Grace and Joyce (our employee that was staying with her) and be on our way. By this time it was very dark outside and since there is no electricity we had to rely on one flashlight that Joyce had carried with her. That too ended up being a life-saver as the family is so poor they can not even afford to buy a kerosene lamp and kerosene.

Joyce said that she has never been in a poorer home. When I asked her where they slept she stated that they spread the blanket over some planks and that was there bed. The auntie and the girls do not even have a mattress, cushions or a piece of foam to sleep on. Joyce said they went to the brown river to collect water. That water is what they cook, bathe and wash clothes with. Since they have no bathroom they have to clean out the kitchen area (where the fire was) and take out the utensils and they can almost stand up straight in that room (the roof is about 5 feet high) to bathe with the river water. Neither do they have an outhouse so they have to walk a few minutes to a local church to use their outhouse. The goats sleep in the compound as well, separating them from those inside by a thin, wooden wall.

We have added them to the list for our Thanksgiving donations and will deliver mattresses, clothes, a lamp and some kerosene. ITHM will also pay Elizabeth’s school fees so that she can go onto high school. If there is no money she will have to drop out now that she has finished the eighth grade. This happens to many young girls and they are forced to go to work at age 14 as housegirls in order to make pennies a day. Many are raped and taken advantage of. As high school is a boarding school here it is a safe place for them to learn and to grow and to have a chance of a better future.

Thank you to all who have given into the “Thanksgiving Fund”! We will be making our next visits in a few weeks to deliver goods and take more of our children on home visits. I am so excited to be able to deliver goods that many of us will never have to go without. It is not too late if anyone else wants to contribute.

I returned to the site before our three kids as they were spending two nights with their relatives. Upon arrival I found all the kids and all the staff missing the kids and our other staff members. Even though we still had 15 children on site, there was a definite difference with three gone. Everyone was sad and wishing for their speedy return. It was comical to think that with 15 it was still quieter than some homes with 5. I understand now why big families feel the need to have big families. And to think, our family here is still not finished growing! We will welcome all the children that God chooses to send to us because we have enough love in our hearts to go around. This, I am sure, is a gift of God.

Our kids returned home with a new appreciation of where they are living and how they are living. Their experience gave them insight into how so many people live here. They desire to get a good education and good jobs not only so they do not have to live in such poverty but so that they can also help others.

Thank you for helping IAA and ITHM to help many!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We pray God’s blessings for you!

Jennifer


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb