First day at school and orphanage


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Volta
July 5th 2007
Published: July 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi!
I met the kids yesterday and started teaching at the elementary school today. I am at the school from 8:30 to 2:30 then at the orphanage from 3:30 to 6:00. The kids are wonderful!
I am teaching kids from 2 to 7 years old. They are all in one class together, it is very chaotic. On a good day when all the children are in school, there is a total of 46 children.
It is very difficult with such a mix of ages and grades, but i have begun making a schedule and routine for them, as well as splitting them up accordingly. The head mistress is very happy and willing to hear and listen to the changes i have planned.
On friday i will be painting the school and decorating it as best as possible with posters and learning signs.

The orphans i met yesterday are just wonderful. they have so much love to give it is incredible that they have such high spirits considering what they have all lived through. They greeted us with big hugs and kisses and they held our hands and followed us wherever we went.

Plans have changed : as they do very often here! we are staying in Ho and will be moving in with our host family tonight. It is possible that we may be moving to the village on our second week.

I am getting used to the food and chewing lots of pepto bismol!!!

I am in awe with the people here, how they have so little and yet they are so welcoming and have such high spirits and so many dreams and hopes for themselves, their families, their communities and country.
They are very friendly, and get a great kick out of seeing a white person : especially the children!

Tomorrow we are having the donation ceremony with all the toys and clothing we brought for the children. We had a lot of things so we have split it up into 3 piles : one for the orphanage, one for my school and another for Dominique's school.

It was lights out last night and the day before, so it got very hot at night without the celling fan. I suppose i will get used to it, however once we move to our host family Domique and i will be sharing one small room with 5 other people. It will get pretty hot i'm sure!

We are getting a kick from the rooster and chickens and goats roaming the streets and waking us up all the time. The dogs are very mean!

Not too many mosquito bites yet.
We went to the market yesterday : what an experience. So many people!! We got lost and separated a few times but it was easy to spot each other!! Took lots of pictures for all of you to see.

Running out of internet time: will write again soon
miss you all and i wish you could be here experiencing this incredible journey with me!
love
Ursula

ps: they can not pronounce my name here, so i am officially: Lulu - and they love the name!!!
xoxoxoxoxo






Advertisement



7th July 2007

Helloooo!!!!
Can't believe you're in Africa! Must be so overwhelming the complete culture change! The children sound wonderful, so happy it's starting off on a good note already!
8th July 2007

Missing you
Hi, I am happy to know that you and your friend Dominique arrived safely in Ghana.It sounds like you are having both good and bittersweet experiences, i.e the food, the shock of the first night. I know that no matter what happens this will be a valued and lasting experience that you will share with many of your friends and family. I miss you as well and will continue to pray for both of you. Keep smiling and the angels will protect you. love Audrey

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb