2nd day in Ghana


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Volta
July 3rd 2007
Published: July 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone!

The flight here was amazing, delayed an hour and a half in london, arrived in Ghana a little later than planned, and worried that the people were not going to meet us. All our bags arrived safely and together.
Once we left the airport, their were hundreds of people with signs, a lot of yelling... and we were very confused! finally. we began asking around for the organization and they found us. They quickly took our bags and we followed them to a car. They took us to this sketchy guest house to spend the night in Accra. I must admit we were not too comfortable with the situation, i had dad pocket knife, opened under my pillow and i gave dominique my flashlight to keep under her pillow that could be used as a weapon. We slept with our carry-on backpacks that contain our passports, money and tickets. We were readfy for a quik getaway!

In the morning, someone from the organization came to puick us up, we were reassured and laughed from our uneasiness.
He brought us porridge: it was aweful! But we did not want to offend, so we gulped it down as fast as we possibly could. It was sweet and sour and a horrible texture!

We travelled to ho with 3 taxis and 1 bus. The bus was packed. I was able to hold a liitle boy of one year and three months for some of the ride, he was gorgeous!!
They have no speed limits here, and man were we flying off our seats!!

Once in Ho, they brought us to a hostile which we are staying at until tomorrow. We met some volunteers last night, they and members of the organization took us out to celebrate and welcome us. It was great fun!
Two of the volunteers are staying with a member of the organization and we were able to look at the living conditions we will be faced with once we reach the village.
They go to the bathroom and shower in the same room... interesting!
They are sleeping on the floor, and Dominique and I wish we would have brought matreses!

Today, we tried the local dish : FUFU. That was very interesting.

Thank you for all your messages.
I am going to start teaching tomorrow and going to the viollage about an hour from Ho,
I will write as soon as possible.
The people here are so wonderful, friendly and welcoming

No worries,
Ursula
xoxoxoxooxoxoxxxoxox




Advertisement



4th July 2007

I am glad to hear you arrived safe and sound. Good luck on your first day of teaching!

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb