Human rights


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Greater Accra » Accra
February 9th 2011
Published: February 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So here's a little of what I do everyday:
I work in the Projects Abroad Human Rights Centre which, as described before is just an exciting walk from the home where I am staying. This organization has several emplyees, but is almost all volunteer run. All the volunteers work in groups on various projects dealing with human rights. I am currently working on two projects. The first is a project where I work with a group of people to train teachers about basic human rights. Here in Ghana, human rights is a term not widely understood by most people.
Today I went to my first teacher training. We gave a presentation about the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and there was also a woman who spoke about domestic violence and who to report human rights violations to. After the presentations we presented several scenarios of human rights violations of students and we had a discussion with the teachers about what rights were being violated and how the teachers could react and assist the students in rectifying the problem. Many of the teachers were very responsive and interested in promoting human rights through their schools.
In many of the busiest areas of Accra there are families of immigrants from northern Africa. Everyday, the parents of these families can be seen sitting in the shade and directing their very young children to beg for money from passerbys. The second project I am working on is a research project about these families. We are trying find out their living situations and whether or not the children are receiving adequate care. Although this project has been going on for a number of months, these children are quite a mystery. What happens to them at night or when they grow up is entirely unknown.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.668s; Tpl: 0.041s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.5918s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb