Shoes and Visas


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Greater Accra » Accra
July 14th 2010
Published: July 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

First of all, apologies dear readers for the extremely brief contents of the previous posting. I also apologise for the fact that it was, like this one, posted from the UK. This disappointed some of my readers (not mentioning any names). So, this will be the last one before I go, but I thought a bit of background might be helpful.

Last summer my daughter Dorothy spent 3 months volunteering at the Osu Childrens' Home in Accra. You can read her blog on here (just search for 'Dorothy' and 'Ghana').

She loved Ghana so much that she wanted to go back again this summer. Since I had enjoyed my first volunteering experience last summer, she suggested we went to Ghana together this summer. She hopes to go back into the orphanage and I will look for a placement in a school.

One of the things that the orphanage needs is decent footwear. Clothes are relatively cheap to buy but decent shoes are much more expensive so most kids get by with just flip-flops or broken, dirty or ill-fitting stuff. Dorothy thought it would be a great idea to actually take lots of shoes there (see the group *Shoes for Osu Children's Home* if you're on Facebook) by using our spare luggage capacity. We have both let it be known at work about this and we have both been given loads of really nice shoes, sandals, trainers, boots, football boots etc from colleagues whose own kids don't need them any more, so we're both using at least half our baggage allowance to take these with us - hopefully there will be some photos on here next week of the shoes being tried on!

Other news - Visas have arrived so we're all set.

Advertisement



15th July 2010

guidance
I do wish you and your group the best. May God's blessings descend on you all. vincent

Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0745s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb