Orientation


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Greater Accra » Accra
August 11th 2009
Published: August 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Golden Jubilee HouseThe Golden Jubilee HouseThe Golden Jubilee House

New Presidential residence and a Trotro driving by.
We began orientation the next day. We ended up sitting in a room listening to different speakers talk about everything from safety tips to life on campus with a Ghanaian roommate. Overall, it was pretty good, but a little long. We did get to take a break and go on a “scavenger hunt” through the city in groups. We had to locate different places all over the city and figure out how to get ourselves there. This wouldn’t have been very difficult, except for the fact that street names apparently don’t exist. But no worries, we had experienced group leaders.
My group decided to go to the Accra Mall to exchange some money and have lunch. Some of the places we had to see were on the way, including the Golden Jubilee House where the President is supposed to reside. Apparently the newly elected President Mills is not living there because during his campaign he talked about how it was a large expenditure that Ghana spent way too much money on when the money should have been used elsewhere. It was said to have cost approximately $80-$135 million of tax-payers' money to build. President Mills is working to spread spending
Ghana welcomes ObamaGhana welcomes ObamaGhana welcomes Obama

Akwaaba means "Welcome" in Twi, one of the native languages in Ghana.
power to other branches of government so that tax-payers' money is going to where is really needs to be. He is currently living in the Osu Castle in Accra.
In early July, President Obama paid a visit to Ghana to show his support for their continuing Democracy. Everyone here loves Obama. They call the U.S. “Obama-Country” and have billboards welcoming him. I have even seen a new hotel called “Hotel Obama.” The fact that the United States has an African American president seems to have really given the Ghanaian people hope and inspiration for their own futures and the future of their country.

To get to the mall, our group decided to take a Trotro. A Trotro is a van with four or five rows of seats. The mates are the men sitting next to the drivers and they yell out the direction the Trotro is going. It is very cheap (about 30 cents a ride) and a great place to meet Ghanaians and practice some Twi.
The mall we ended up going to was pretty Americanized. I had pizza for lunch, and I must admit that it was indeed the best Hawaiian pizza I have ever had. For those pineapple lovers out there- Ghanaian pineapple is, hands down, the best pineapple in the world.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



23rd August 2009

Pineapple
I am glad you have found food that isn't fried chicken, but I hope you can still enjoy pineapple here when you get back.

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0916s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb