You are my sister now


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Greater Accra » Accra
June 15th 2009
Published: June 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone!!

Arrived safely along with my bags! Had a good flight after what seemed like a shaky start, with a handcuffed Ghanaian women on the plane who was being deported, along with 3 escorts...seemed a bit excessive at first but she was completely hysterical and shouting, saying we didn't know how lucky we were to have British passports, and the proceded to call everyone racist. After about 15 mins she calmed down, which was good because she was on my row a few seats down! She stared silently for the rest of the flight (7hrs) and didn't eat, drink or gte up. There was also a stowaway bee which made it onto the flight sitting on a mans's jacket, and had to be exterminated. My faith in the Ghanaian's reputation as some of the friendliest people in the world was restored when a pleasant gentleman named Joe sat next to me. I was being indecisive as usual and couldn't decide on which in flight meal to have and took the safe option of cottage pie, and Joe offered me some of his piri piri chicken, I declined just to be polite but he insisted so I said yes if he didn't mind, to which he replied "you are my sister now", so kind!!! He didn't understand why uis Brits like sloppy food like mashed potato, after his own experiences of eating "mash & bangers" when he first arrived here 10 yrs ago. He was on a bi-annual trip home to Accra to see his wife and children (he is an economic migrant working in London)...we had good conversation and watched some films...at the end of the flight he gave me his number and the inevitable invite to his church!

Shop names are so amusing here, all Christian themed, like "Act of God Hair Cuts" and "The Redeemer Snacks" etc etc.
Had an interesting day today so far, a cold bucket shower to start the day off (the house has had no running water for about 5 days but it should come back on soon apparently..but I couldn't face washing my hair in it...there were some unknown floaty things in the buckets of water)! I'll have to get used to it! Its way too hot to werar hair down anyhow. I am armed with factor 40 today. Experienced the tro-tro (publiuc transport) today which is similar to a turkish Dolmus, but a million times crazier! Had a little beggar literally hang on to me when I was walking, asking me for money, apparently he was not Ghanaian..a friendly Ghanaian man chased him off me after about 50metres!

Anyway must go now, off to get a sim card and some lunch.

Love to you all! x x x x x

Advertisement



15th June 2009

Please let the water be back when i get there :D I cant wait to get out there now!!!
17th June 2009

floaty things in the water
oh dear i dont think i would wash my hair either with floaty things in the water even if they were dead, looking forward to your next big issue lol
20th June 2009

act of god haircuts!
Ha ha - mine's a state - i will blame act of god x

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb