Ghana


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Greater Accra » Accra
February 7th 2009
Published: February 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Monday - Friday
Well monday was the first working day here. As everyone else went to there school i was taken to Alpha Medical Centre. I met with Matron Rose, i couldn't work out whether she was pleased to see me or not?! I felt quite bad saying that i wasn't trained in anything and that i didnt know how to take someone's bp without an electric machine lol.

She showed me round the hospital, an outside waiting room, a tiny lab, one treatment room, 3 wards with 11 beds and what they call a maternity ward is rele made up of some beds and a shack lol well maybe its not that bad and also the smallest theatre!

This week I have been with the antenatal and postnatal clinics. In this i helped weigh the babies. This involved putting naked babies into this cotton bag which had one strap and 2 leg holes in it. To me it looked very dodgy but not to them or the mothers. They then hung the one strap off the hook which was attached to weight scales hanging from the door. Some of these babies obviously found the experience too frightening as they either peed or pooed themselves humm not nice.

The antenatal clinic involved registering ALOT of pregnant women. They all had to be over 3 months pregnant because apparently before this it could be a disease or something else. Mostly this was just paper work but it was sad to hear that many women dont know the date of there birhtday. Also alot of them spoke twi the native language so i couldnt understand.

Work starts at 8 each morning and i have to get a taxi there on my own or sometimes its shared with other people. Ive had some marriage proposals from some drivers!
Washing with a jug is a bit annoying and my hair is drving me insane!!!!
Im running out of time but will inform you guys at another point hopefully soon.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb