Well this is the start...


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Greater Accra » Accra
February 22nd 2007
Published: February 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

2007

Chantel and An's trip to Ghana via Europe

CHANTEL - I know that An and I have been here for almost four weeks now and this is the first time we are posting anything. We have been writing constantly and keeping track of everything that is going on but it has been nearly impossible to get anything posted what with the slow internet connections and power cuts. The power in Ghana comes from a dam and this year the dam is at the lowest it has been in years so the government had ordered regular scheduled power cuts in every area two days a week for twelve hours each. That had been fine, we know to shower beforehand because with lights-out comes water-off and we plan to eat at the market and do something off campus on those nights. However, the power has been going off way more frequently as of late. Like every other day at random times frequently which has wrecked havoc at getting any work done. An is insisting on showering whenever we have water just in case the power all of a sudden cuts for however long. We just found out yesterday that there is an actual reason for the power cuts. In a few weeks time Ghana will be celebrating 50 years as an independent nation. It is a really big deal and there are “Ghana at 50” posters, signs and t-shirts absolutely everywhere. There is a whole week or so of celebration planned with a large variety of world leaders and important people coming to Ghana for that time. The government wants to be able to run the whole week of festivities without any power cuts in the city so they are increasing the cuts now in an attempt to save up on power for the anniversary party. Makes some sense but it also means that we will be typing, or reading, or coming home at night and all of sudden the power goes off and there is no indication of when it is going to come back on. That “Ghana at 50” party better be good!
Anyways this is our journal of sorts - more of a rambling of what has been going on and our experience, part for those of you who are interested at home, and part for our lovely professor Marilyn who is supervising us from Mexico. I think we have a couple of weeks written up so far. An keeps track of what happens and then I comment on all of it and add what I think. We love it here and are probably never leaving so if you want to see us again you better start saving for airfare and vaccinations.

Love Chantel and An


Advertisement



25th February 2007

Dam?
Any idea who funded the dam? Is the drought worse than usual this year (as in rest of sub-Sahara)? I have anxiety about being able to flush our toilet!

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb