Homeless in Cape Coast!!


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Central » Cape Coast
February 21st 2008
Published: February 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Monday. Sunday at the Hotel in Accra was very strange as 8 people had left to start their placements, leaving just 2 couples, Dave and Jan who were heading to Volta region the next day, and ourselves, without any confirmation of moving on the Monday until Sunday evening. All we were then told was that some temporary accommodation had been found and that there were 2 possible places for our “permanent” home that we would view the next day.

Nice trip (2.5 hours) to CC once we left the congestion of Accra, and were taken immediately to the offices of the Regional Government Offices who had kindly agreed to put us up. After some waiting around to greet the regional minister as etiquette demands, off-loaded our bags into a huge house …but containing only 2 old single beds, some fairly forbidding lounge furniture, the gas burner provided by VSO and acres of grime…..and went off to meet my “employers” in the Municipality. After some time waiting to meet the Regional Coordinator, it became clear that there were no houses to look at that day, and also that there has not been any real thought given to how I will go about my work. A colleague appears to have inherited some responsibility for me with which he is complying with good face, but not sure his heart is in it!. We agreed that he would ring me “tomorrow” after arranging some meetings, but so far I am still waiting. I did see him again yesterday to view a possible property which fortunately we all agreed was too isolated, but it was confirmed that they had no second option for consideration. They agreed they need to start looking!
So we continue to camp in our warehouse…it is in a beautiful spot with a view of the sea (see photo) although a bit of a trek from the town. By now have been back and forward to town many times, particularly having to return to Barclays Bank 3 times before we were able to provide them with the evidence they needed to set up an account to receive our allowance…prices and / or our inability to haggle successfully mean we think we will find it quite challenging to live on our allowance.

Feeling far more orientated today, with help from Eddie another volunteer (living where we thought we were going to live!!!) who spent the evening with us Tuesday. Found the “supermarket” and have to accept no chance of fresh coffee until we have visitors from UK, and no chance of fresh fish or meat until we feel brave enough to buy from the market. Lots of fresh pineapple and pawpaw at the market, and getting used to yam instead of tatties.

Hoping for early news on accommodation as it will be rather unsettling having to start work knowing that another move ( which is not an easy prospect in this heat) and probable need to totally equip a new place, could happen at any time. Coping reasonably well with the humidity although frequently need to mop my face and neck when it overtakes me too much, but Dave tends to be soaked all the time. We hear it is likely to get hotter before the relief of the rainy season from May so will try not to hanker too much for the crisp cold weather in the UK which I have always loved. Missing lots of other England stuff as well, but won’t go into detail, lest homesickness overwhelms.


Advertisement



21st February 2008

things can only get better !
sounds as if you are coping really well given the circumstances !!
21st February 2008

It can only get better (eventually)
Sounds like the Africa we all know and love - nothing organised! Great blog, Gloria, very honest! With you every step of the way.
21st February 2008

But you're still smiling!!!
Wow - more permanent housing really would help you to settle but it will come soon!!! Must seem really quiet as well now there are less of you around! Your updates are REALLY interesting, please keep them coming, they are great for us to read and I hope help for you to feel connected. I went to Liverpool earlier this week, can't say the cold temperatures whilst on "ferry across the mersey" are something I would dream about or aspire to!!!! Take care
22nd February 2008

Hello
It certainly sounds very challenging for you both. Hope you have proper accomodation soon.

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb