Well I'm actually here....


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Central » Cape Coast
February 11th 2008
Published: February 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

....well, not in Cape Coast yet...but I really am in Ghana. Arrived in Accra late last night to new smells, sights and the frenetic activity that exists outside of most airports outside of Europe. Had identified some other VSO volunteers during the flight, but found that there were actually 10 of us on the flight....8 from UK and 2 from Netherlands. When we eventually got to our hotel after loading two Nissan Patrols with our motely luggage tied on top of each of them, and 7 of us in each vehicle with knees to chins and profuse sweating , found that 6 of us could not be accomodated in the hotel that night, but before we could be moved to another one, we had to eat the meal waiting for us - very tasty actually even though it was past 11pm by then, and close to midnight before we got to our rooms in the other, distinctly more down- makrket hotel.

Overdose of adrenalin, very noisy air-conditioning, and snivels anbout missing my folks caused a pretty sleepless night, but felt excited and optimistic on "waking" that this a good thing to be doing!!!

Today has had a lot of standing about talking to new and "old" VSO volunteers ( those who have been there longer than us!!!) ...there are 13 new ones...as we found that a Phillipian and 2 Kenyan women had arrived the day before us. Lovely group of people...both new and old and everyone is so helpful and supportive to each other. Met others doing the same jobs as Dave and I in other regions, and we are all looking forward to a sector meeting in March when we can hopefully plan a way forward to overcome some of the challenges they have already identified. Also met most of the staff at the VSO programme office who also seem to be lovely people , very knowledgeable and skilled in their areas. Toured a bit of Accra whilst being transported between hotels and Programme Office ( we are now in the more salubrious one ( might as well have a bit of luxury whilst we can!!)...wondering at the colours, shop names, and lives being openly l;ead and enjoyed in full view of everyone else...this is definitely NOT leamington spa in February!.

Will not attempt to tackle adding photos tonight as extremely weary!!! and brain overly-challenged already.

Advertisement



11th February 2008

Arriving in Ghana
Great to hear you are there! The description of your arrival reminds me so much of when I went to Ghana (also in February). Chaos at the airport, the heat of the night, the scrum of getting into a minibus and hoping your luggage will follow and then the trip through Accra to a hotel which may or may not have water in the taps in your bedroom. But then the glorious feeling of waking the next morning to blue skies, sunshine and warmth, luscious fruits for breakfast and thinking how amazing it is to be there at all.
11th February 2008

glad you're there safely
Hi Glo - it was good reading your blog and knowing you're there starting your new life, and that the people you have met seem interesting...will follow your progress
12th February 2008

Good to hear from you!
Hi Gloria, - It's great to hear from you and that you've landed safe and sound. Your expereince Ghana kind of reminded me of India with all the different smells, noise and lots of excitment around you, but it's all a lovely expereince. You seem to have a good team of volunteers who are supportive and equally keen to take on new challenges. I would like to wish you lots of success in the good work that you will be doing over the coming months and may God fulfill all your prays/wishes. Good luck and I shall look forward to hearing more and seeing some photos when you get a chance to add these!! Lots of love and take care!

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb