Moving on to Gondar


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia
December 26th 2009
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 12.6, 37.4667

This entry will actually cover the last few days. First, thanks everyone for all the birthday wishes and the Christmas greetings. Even though Ethiopians don't celebrate Christmas (Leddet) until January 6/7, many children and some adults wished us Merry Christmas as we were walking around the last couple of days.
Dec. 24 was spent getting to Gondar - via the usual local mini bus transport. Always an interesting experience but this trip was relatively uneventful - no flat tires, no need to change transport to a beer truck etc. Our young guide arranged even arranged for the van to pick us up at the hotel although we did make a stop at the bus station where there was much haggling and scouting for more people going to Gondar. We were finally on the road and the drive here is quite beautiful. Gondar is closer to the Simien Mountains so we gained a bit of altitude coming here. The road was windy but paved all the way with only the occasional break in the road or huge transport truck broken down exactly on a blind curve!
Our trekking guide, Alex, met us at our hotel here and we discussed plans for our 3 days in the mountains. We will do that Mon-Wed coming up. In the meantime we have been exploring Gondar and learning about the area.
Gondar is a lovely (Ethiopian standards) city situated in the foothills of the Simien Mountains. It is an ancient city initially established as the capital of Ethiopia by King Fasilidas in the 1700's. He built a fabulous castle here which is right in the center of town. This gives the city a different feel than where we have been so far. The castle walls are quite easy to see from many parts of town and the town itself shows the most Italian influence with a 'piazza' and somewhat green boulevards. Some of the buildings are trimmed or painted in very bright blues, greens and yellows and they stand out in brilliant contrast to the overall dirt and shabbiness that is essentially Ethiopia. The people are once again incredibily friendly and we have had a minimum of beggars or small children asking for money.
Yesterday (25th) we visited the castle complex which covers 17,000 sq. meters and includes the main castle, a sauna and bath house and records building built by Fasiladas and then several
Gouder WineGouder WineGouder Wine

Served in recycled beer bottles and dressed up in a cute little hat and wrap.
other smaller castles built by two of his sons who succeeded him. There is also a lovely small castle built by the wife of one of these sons who apparently nursed him back to health and she was so incredibily beautiful that he married her. There are a couple versions of this story - both are fun and it would be interesting to know the real history of this woman. She actually ruled for a long while after her husband died because her son was just a baby. She built a school for woman to teach them how to not be so dependent on men! Keep in mind this is the 1700's - very cool lady.
Fasiladas also built a large pool in another part of town, now called Fasiladas baths which you visit on the same ticket you buy for the castle compound. The pool is huge - supposedly bigger than an olympic sized pool and the bath house is in the center. This is still used once a year for Ethiopian Epiphany (Timket) which is in the second half of January. This is the most important religious festival in Ethiopia and Gondar's population will swell by 10,000 visitors to take part in the festivities which include bathing in this pool. Richard will be in Ethiopia for this but he will be in Addis Ababa. Everyone here says this is the best place and I am sure it is but it would be virtually impossible to get a room for it now.
Today is the main local market day so, of course, that is where we headed to this morning. It is loud, dirty, incredible chaotic and SO much fun!!! We had a young tout (street guide) and his friend lead us to and around the market. As a result we got to see 'behind the scenes' of many of the stalls and 'talk' to the sellers.
So, here is the factoid of the day: A very small population of Jews still remain in Ethiopia today living in a small village area about 5 km from Gondar. They are called Falasha's. They are different from Jews anywhere in the world - do you know why? (Hint - it is not because they are black).
Tomorrow we are going bird watching on the other end of Lake Tana at a place called Gongora.


Additional photos below
Photos: 71, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Gondar sightsGondar sights
Gondar sights

Just because.
Gondar sightsGondar sights
Gondar sights

Another use of President Obama in advertising.
Gondar streetsGondar streets
Gondar streets

I think the Italian influence introduced color.
Gondar streetsGondar streets
Gondar streets

Various forms of transportation. In Gondar some of the horse drawn carts are actually 'taxis'.
Gondar streetsGondar streets
Gondar streets

The every present tuk-tuk.
Gondar streetsGondar streets
Gondar streets

And livestock.
A bee covered cup of tea - so much sugar!A bee covered cup of tea - so much sugar!
A bee covered cup of tea - so much sugar!

Af bee covered cup of tea. They put so much sugar in their hot beverages no wonder the bees are attracted to it.
School is out.School is out.
School is out.

School is out.
Horse drawn 'taxi'.Horse drawn 'taxi'.
Horse drawn 'taxi'.

Here is a horse drawn taxi.
Inside the Royal EnclosureInside the Royal Enclosure
Inside the Royal Enclosure

The castle compound or royal enclosure is on 17,000 sq. meters of high ground. From the towers and balconies of the main castle it was possible to see clearly in all directions.
King Fasiladas Castle-A UNESCO World Heritage siteKing Fasiladas Castle-A UNESCO World Heritage site
King Fasiladas Castle-A UNESCO World Heritage site

A UNESCO World Heritage site. It is spectacular.
King Fasilada's castle - on one of the balconies.King Fasilada's castle - on one of the balconies.
King Fasilada's castle - on one of the balconies.

It is good to hire a guide at the entrance. They speak English (other languages are available) and they know all the history and archeological info.


26th December 2009

Here is my guess about what makes the Falasha Jews different.... is it because they didn't read scriptures in Hebrew, or is that they practiced circumcision, but it was performed by a woman? Was just doing some reading about them and found
their evolution very interesting. I've never even heard of Falash Jewish people before.
28th December 2009

It is an interesting story of the king and queen of Ethiopians. We have learned more from reading your writing. Or-Kun! Hope you did enjoy the bird watching tours yesterday. Have a nice visit to Ethiopia and hope to hear from you more. with
our love, Neat Vatana Thida and Poan
28th December 2009

Hi Richard and Carole!! I am glad to read and enjoy the story that you writing about. It was wonderful to hear that you have been enjoying a lot in Ethiopia. Hope to hear more from you. Have a nice day! Neat, from Cambodia.
28th December 2009

Hi Richard and Carole. I am so happy to read as to learn about Ethiopian culture and civilization and the daily life activities in Ethiopia nowadays. Have a nice visit and enjoy your days in Ethiopia.Vatana from Cambodia.
28th December 2009

Two thoughts on your factoid:They are descendants of the queen of sheba.They are the only jewish group to survive to modern day that doesn't practice rabbinc judiasm, only biblical. The judaism we know, (reform, conservateive, orthodox) is
based on rabbinic judaism. In recent history they have adopted some rabbinic judaism, but the traditions they previously followed were not so.
30th December 2009

Can't wait to hear about your bird-watching and learn about the new kinds of bird you've seen - hope you got a lot of good pics!

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb