Round-the world plane ticket: $1069


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Oromia Region
October 30th 2000
Published: November 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Round-the world plane ticket: $1069.
4-hour minibus ride over bumpy road with suicidal driver: 13 birr.
Leading 25 enthusiastic local kids in a chorus of "You, you, you!" in Hagaramariam, Ethiopia: priceless.


We got our first real lesson not to trust someone. We finally found a bus to Moyale from Hagaramariam but there was SO MUCH CONFUSION about the price. Locals say it's 13 birr but they want 30. Language difficulty or opportunity to soak the white folks? Then more birr for the luggage storage?? Mike said, "No, give me a better price." But this guy Hassin, sitting near us, said, "Mike, just pay." They did drop the price a bit and everything was settled.


Hassin's wife had a horrible car accident and is in the hospital in Moyale but he is traveling to Nairobi(??) He has a house in Moyale but doesn't live there(??) Language or not? He tried to get us off the bus before the bus station but we waited for the station instead where we were met by...... more guides! Hassin tried to steer us away but we followed Bruik to the hotel ("15 birr"). So we took the room but Hassin was hanging around for this. Then he told us, "I forgot to tell you the room is 25 birr" (why was he involved in this at all?) The manager agreed but we stuck to our guns. Hassin: "Mike just pay." Mike: "No, I DON'T just pay." We went to get our bags and go to another hotel but the manager relented. Geez!


We stayed and had a few beers with Bruik and Antene. Hassin said, "I invite you to my home for coffee ceremony and to see my wife." Bruik: "You don't have a home here, you don't live here!" Hassin: "Well, it's my friend's home." Bruik: "Say the truth. And speak English, I am not hearing you in Amharic." We thanked him, but no. He finally left and we speculated about his real intentions.


Note to self: I will not be afraid to risk insult by refusing "hospitality." Another note to self: If someone hangs around you so you can buy them food, beer, miraa, cigarettes and coffee, risk insult and make it clear that you don't intend to pay for "guide" services. And do this early! Bruik and Antene expected way too much from us.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0865s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb