Learning Afaan Oromo


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Oromia Region » Yirgalem
July 13th 2007
Published: July 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

2nd - 13th July 2007

I have been learning Afaan Oromo since living in Robe, as the majority of people in the town are Oromo. Amharic is the national language, and is the first language of 32.7% of the population. Afaan Oromo is the first language of 31.6% (according to the World Factbook from the CIA).

VSO organise a 2-week intensive language training course for volunteers, held at the Fura Institute in Yirgalem, half way between Awasa and Dilla, south of Addis. Most of the participants were learning Amharic, but two of us (me and Jane from Nekemte) were taking lessons in Afaan Oromo with Solomoon.

The course was excellent. And not as intensive as it could have been! Unfortunately for Jane, I accidentally had a cup of ‘sprise’ (mixed tea and coffee), which is popular in Ethiopia, at breakfast one day and, as a result, I was incredibly hyperactive. Even I found myself hard work!

Yirgalem itself is a small town, with many irritating children who constantly shouted “You! You! Money! Money!” at us. But we did find some very good food for lunch, as a change from eating at the Institute.

On the Sunday (our day off) a few of us attempted to go for a peaceful walk in the countryside. Impossible! The scenery was beautiful, but the constant noise of the children following us made the activity unpleasant. In the end, we abandoned the walk and headed for a glass of imported white wine at Aragash Lodge.


On the second Thursday evening, we had a bonfire and music outside. The rain kept off and the local gin we bought (£2 for a bottle) went down a treat.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 76; dbt: 0.1024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb