Chiri


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Oromia Region » Jimma
February 23rd 2010
Published: February 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

We planned to meet up with the fellow Americans living in Chiri, which is near Bonga. It worked out that the other expats who were living there were away and they had the place all to themselves. One of their drivers was coming up to Jimma to drop off their founder and we were able to hitch a ride back with their driver. The road from Jimma to Bonga varied from paved to, well…unpaved. There was construction at points and some mud. The drive ended up taking maybe three and a half hours; three to Bonga and a half an hour to Chiri.

We arrived at their NGO around sunset. Their compounds had their medical facilities as well as their living compounds. I don’t know what I was expecting exactly, but the place totally blew my mind. They called their main living compound the Big House. It had a large pantry, fridge, full kitchen, dining area, living area with bookshelves and couches, and their communal shower. If I didn’t know better I would’ve said their living room area was right out of a Berkeley studio apartment. We were all happy to see one another. They showed us our rooms, which were simple o course, but they came with flowers and chocolates on the pillows.

It was my compatriot’s birthday that night, and they cooked a Mexican meal per her request, it was awesome. They had real cheese! A local house woman cooks lunches during the week, and cleans their dishes, but they are on their own for the weekends. Fairly spoiled, but not completely. The next couple of days were…awesome (the use of awesome is a running inside joke with them). We had cooked meals, desserts, had beer, wine and cheese. One night the power went out so we had dinner by candle light, started a fire, and played a game. They had also just got a projector, so we watched Inglorious Basterds. Ten years ago they didn’t have power; they have slowly progressed to having their own home theatre. We would also have wine and cheese on the Big House’s back porch and watch the sunset. It was awesome.

Now we are back in Jimma. We won't see them again until we see each other in the states, which for them won't be until September. Who knows when we will actually get together. They are both amazing people, as friends, health care workers, and dedicated and caring people. Simply put, they are awesome.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb