Awramba!!!


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Amhara Region » Bahir Dar
September 28th 2009
Published: September 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

What a great name to a great community... we found some info in the guide: It's a small community, isolated, secular, believes that education is the key to development so one can find adults attending primary school, they are socialists, they believe in Gender equality and children’s rights, the kids are not allowed to beg money from foreigners and visitors, the community charges the same price from locals and Faranji (white people) and the best way to support them is to buy the woven products they sell. We read, we were amazed, we thought it's interesting and surprising so we go on the bus. OH YEAH!!!! I'm inlove!!!! Yes, my next trip to Ethiopia is planned!!! AWRAMBA I have to check that they really stand for what they declare. They are not secular, they believe in one creator, they didn't name him, the community members can believe as they wish... We got there on Tuesday; it's the community work day. Every Tuesday, they all work for the community, the productions and the money made from it goes to the community and helping the poor and the weak. EVERYONE works together: men and women are sitting under the tree, sharing the work. They believe in honesty and love for all human beings. Children and women are respected and equal to male adults. They believe in good practice and in preventing disputes, they believe that if people will be good and nice to each other, it will bring good to everyone. The philosophy seems a bit naive to the cynical western visitor. To those who know Africa and the African culture it's a miracle: a social kibbutz here?? They follow the rules of equality, education, social aid to those whom are in need. Those practices are not common (so say the least) in this continent, and, hate to say it, but also in other “developed” areas.
I could have written a lot more, I was so impressed with this place, and I just see that the technological difficulties are interrupting with my ability to explain. It took me 45 minutes to write what took u all 2 minutes to read and 180 minutes to upload the photos, in 3 different internet cafe (in a way, it’s like cooking ;-) )
The internet keeps cutting off, refreshing, freezing, whatever one can think of (if you are above 30 and remember the days that internet connection had started). I can just say that I was impressed with the story, I was impressed with the buildings, I was impressed with the elderly people's home, I was impressed with what this people are doing with the little they have, and they are creating amazing houses and furniture from the same sources every African village has: mud. The difference is that they create it esthetically, while thinking of energy saving, while thinking of the need of having furniture, and the possibility to create them from the same mud, not only the basic needs for cover and walls and then sitting on the floors with the fire in the middle of the house, and the smoke is everywhere. I hope the photos will explain some of what I was so impressed about. Those of you whom have been to Africa would understand what I'm talking about. Would understand why I've decided to go back and study this community, looks like my PHD thoughts are getting a little more focused now. For now, the idea is to come back here for few weeks and study them, the culture, the houses. I think that this community might interest everyone, especially the Anthropologists, environmentalists, engineers, architects, sociologists etc... and there are lots of you on my list.. Anyone wanna join?



Epilogue



This post is by far my most popular one. Every day a new person who does not know me reads it, every week one of those people contacts me, asking for some information.
As I look back to my visit in Awra Amba I feel strongly that this is a truly unique community with important ideas that should be spread as wide as possible, to be an example of what people can achieve.
This village, and its unique ways are a food-for-thought when dealing with the issues that are being discussed this days of global financial crisis, cultures, values and religion (and violent acts in the name of religion and god) I believe that this community is the answer to those issues.
One of the people who have contact me about this blog is Paulina Tervo who is a film director that had visited Awra Amba and documented them. She’d also built an official website and, like me, feels very strongly about this community. I do hope that my post and Paulina’s website would help others to know this community better in hope for a better world


Advertisement



30th September 2009

very interesting indeed! I cannot join for now (I'll explain when we'll have a Skype session) but will be happy to visit you there take care and be well ciao cara, baci!
30th September 2009

wow
hi, how are you, you travelling gypsy, you... i dont usually respond to blogs, but this is truely amazing. wonderful to know that humanistic ways of life can appear in all places and in various forms. if you are serious about going there for a longer period of time - maybe yesh matsav, who knows... i hope this didn't take too long to read
2nd October 2009

I wish i could
I think there's a lot i am missing.I wish i could join you.The photos have impressed me too also their creativity and them being able to face life as it is and try the best they can do.Its also a lesson to Tanzanian's too they need to see how other people are surviving with the least they can get. Wish you luck my Colorful bird who always flies away!!!
24th October 2009

to know about awramba
my comment focused on about information about awramba people, i want to get or to know about this community but there is no any written material,why don't prepare?
30th November 2009

I was there in may 2009
This is amazing place, i had chance to visit in may 2009 i was so impressed.
24th May 2010

Website?
Today I read about this way of life in a magazine I get monthly. I really believe in this concept but when I googled I could not find an official website. Does someone know if there is one? Many Thx and Peace!! Miffrin
27th May 2010

www.awraamba.com
Hello, I just saw your blog here on Awra Amba. I'm a documentary filmmaker and I came across Awra Amba on my travels in 2004. I have since stayed there 3 times and we made a film about it in 2008 which is out now. I've also built an official website, which is www.awraamba.com - where you will find lots more information about it. Also the film can be purchased there on DVD. Watch this space as I am currently developing a bigger project with them, including an interactive website and a longer film. If you want to get in touch, please email me on paulina@writethisdown.co.uk My company website is www.writethisdown.co.uk (we make mainly social issue films). All the best, Paulina
1st June 2010

seeking more information
I have read your article on the Awramba community and i found it very interesting. would please send more information about the community? thank you.
1st July 2010

I need information
your paper is intersting.do you have additional information about this community ?please give me ?
20th October 2010

to give information
awuramba is .....
8th November 2010

It is a great community,very interesting !!!
21st December 2010

about tourism
as we know the community is visited by many tourists but they didn't gate enough many from tourists. is there any natural attraction around the village?
21st April 2011

i love awuramba
peace, peace ...
17th June 2011
a house

comment
i realy like them after when i was worker i want visiy them
6th October 2011

I would like to say Awramba community are the best model for other community in most cases.And i think the must be aprogram or any project that work on sharing and spread out thier nice model . and i belive it is very important that spreading out thier good modles to make such kind of community many!!!!
27th January 2017

Visit and Volunteer
Thank you for the blog. I have followed the work of Awramba Ethiopian Community for a long time. Now, I want to go there to visit or even to volunteer by January 2018. Can anyone give me their contact info? Thanks!
27th January 2017

There's. Website.
Hi, thank you for your kind words! I'm sure you will have a great adventure there. You can find them via the website - www.visitawraamba.com I hope to hear from you after your visit! Merav

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb