Say What?


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Addis Ababa Region » Addis Ababa
May 15th 2009
Published: May 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

(Ruta writing…) Part of the fun of travelling or working abroad is encountering completely different perspectives from one’s own. Because Ethiopia is so different from our home, we encounter many such situations. For example, Ethiopia uses a different calendar system (e.g. the current year is 2001 EC). When my coworker asked me “What date is it in your world?” I paused a minute, but quickly understood her question.

Here are some additional situations that cause me to pause to ask, “Say What?”

Road Signs for Foreigners
Despite being a city of about 4 million people, before this year, Addis Ababa had very few street signs. Most people ignored the existing street signs, since they indicated location by the nearest square or landmark. “By the Bole Bridge” “Meskel Square” “by the Shoa Bread Store” etc. As foreigners new to the city do not know existing landmark locations, a lot of explaining is needed for simple directions.

As part of a massive effort to build roads, the Chinese contractors hung 122 “highway style” signs in Addis Ababa. The newspaper article that announced the posting of the signs wrote, “…and many people are happy to have the new signs, especially the foreigners who always seem to want to know where a road goes…”

Of course!
One of our children contracted a scary, fast growing fungal infection on the skin. The esteemed dermatologist treating her made an extra effort to explain the superiority of the drug that he was prescribing. “It may be hard to find, but definitely make the effort,” he stated. What an understatement! All in all, Tadas and I checked out 8 pharmacies before going back to the doctor to get an alternate prescription. I complained that I couldn’t find the original, and he exclaims, “Of course, because it’s contraband!” Geesh.

…except you’re white
I was chatting to a Sudanese man when he asked me if I was Ethiopian. Surprised, I queried, “Why do you ask?” “Because,” he waves his hand around his face,” your cheekbones and face…you look just like an Ethiopian…” then he awkwardly adds, “except of course you’re white.”


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb