Hoping for the Blind - part 2


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Addis Ababa Region » Addis Ababa
March 17th 2009
Published: March 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

HB Tadas and AlemHB Tadas and AlemHB Tadas and Alem

Tadas is standing with our host at the organization, Alem. Alem graduated Addis Ababa university with the help of braille, tutors, and helpers for the blind - she is an inspiration!
continued...
The people with whom we spoke became blind at ages 7 and 9, from measles and small pox. Measles - a disease that to me simply means remembering to take my kids to the doctor to get a measles vaccination. Yet here we see firsthand the devastating effects of these diseases that caused this blindness. Heavy sigh. How many difficulties and trauma is suffered that could theoretically have been prevented.

One man became blind at age 8 from a disease locally know as “Metch”. After 2 years his father died and his mother left the family. The grandmother took care of him, but then she died, so he attended the local priests’ school. Eventually he walked to Addis Ababa on foot from his rural village - it took him 11 days. Here he attended a school for the blind. He got married and had 6 children. Unfortunately his wife died, but he supports his kids through his work at the Hope for the Blind. How wonderful that this organization allows the blind to live productively and support their families. If fact, although only about 80 people are employed, the organization has over 200 members. These people have benefitted from many of your generosity - we have passed on donations of toiletries and clothes that friends have generously sent to Ethiopia for the poor.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Tadas with finished rugsTadas with finished rugs
Tadas with finished rugs

This pictured rug is very beautiful. It took about 2-3 weeks to create and costs about $350.
HB Finished Bags and RugsHB Finished Bags and Rugs
HB Finished Bags and Rugs

This rug's price tage is about $177. An amazing value.


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb