Remembrance Day for Road Traffic Victims


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Addis Ababa Region » Addis Ababa
November 16th 2008
Published: November 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 16th November 2008

Although I had suggested that we organise a first Ethiopian Remembrance Day as part of my VSO placement in the National Road Safety Coordination Office in Addis Ababa, I had had no involvement in its organisation after a first working group meeting. I wasn’t sure what would happen on the day but I was very impressed by the whole event.

The event had started 30 minutes later than planned, but showing a drama about a road crash filled the time. Then came several speeches by dignitaries such as the Minister of Transport, the Commissioner of the Federal Police and the Director of the Transport Authority. Unusually, the Minister stayed for the whole time - I have often found in the past that Ministers deliver a speech and then leave.

It was always going to be difficult for VSO volunteers given that it is only 5 months since Dave Evans was killed by a bus driver, but several came on the day, which was very much appreciated. I welled up when Patricia, the Country Director of VSO, talked about Dave’s death in a speech that she had only been asked to deliver when she arrived at the venue.

A poem was written for the day and delivered by the Poet. She had also written another poem that a band from Menelik II Secondary School set to music. Testimonials were given by three victims of traffic crashes: a young man whose vocal chords had been damaged, a woman with a broken leg who was slowly helped to the front of the hall and a woman on crutches who spoke eloquently about what had happened. Other films were shown - a harrowing film where crash victims were interviewed in hospital after a fatal crash several years ago (a bus went off the road to the Bale Mountains) as well as films showing pedestrians walking along the left of rural highways (an impressive sight).

Some elegance was brought to the proceedings by the attendance of a famous Ethiopian singer, Hamelmal Abata, sitting in the audience. I spoke to her afterwards and she said that she was happy to attend, as road safety was important for everyone.

The morning ended with the opportunity for participants to add the names of victims to a model of a head, in remembrance of those killed or injured.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

SpeechesSpeeches
Speeches

Commissioner of Police
SpeechesSpeeches
Speeches

Minister of Transport
Famous singerFamous singer
Famous singer

Hamelmal Abata was in the audience
PoetPoet
Poet

The poet had written a poem specially for the day.


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0783s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb