10 Years of VSO Ethiopia


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Addis Ababa Region » Addis Ababa
August 7th 2007
Published: August 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This year sees the 10th anniversary of a VSO Programme Office in Ethiopia (although there were volunteers here before that). VSO Ethiopia is now one of the largest volunteer programmes in the world, and worth celebrating!

I had been asked to put together a cheap and cheerful (my words, not VSO’s) display for the events happening this week and to help set it up at the British Embassy for the first event. We ended up hanging it between two pillars in the entrance hall to the Ambassador’s Residence, where it hung in front of a portrait of the Queen.

Seven volunteers (one from each of the recruitment bases - UK, Ireland, Kenya, India, Canada, The Netherlands and The Philippines were invited to a dinner hosted by Bob Dewar (the British Ambassador), with Mark Goldring (the CEO of VSO International), Patricia Sellick (VSO Ethiopia Country Director) as well as representatives from some of the embassies. The workers (me, Belay and Bethelihem from VSO) debated whether we had time to get something to eat while they were in their posh lunch, and ended up going to the Club in the Embassy compound to grab something quick and still be back in time for the press arriving. I had a veggie burger - my first since being in Ethiopia!

After lunch there were two panels - the first was made up of volunteers (Baukje, Julian, Judith and Laurence) chaired by the Ambassador where they spoke about their reasons for volunteering, followed by questions from the invited audience. The second panel was made up of representatives from 5 different partner organisations, who spoke about what they want from VSO and where they see the future. Both panels were excellent.

Following the panel discussions, there was a reception - with free drinks and nibbles.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The volunteers who went to lunch!The volunteers who went to lunch!
The volunteers who went to lunch!

The volunteers from the seven recruitment bases plus the Ambassador and CEO of VSO.


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0833s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb