Egypt in 9 Days in Cheap


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt
May 3rd 2009
Published: May 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well, I posted this first as a reply to the following post by a TravBuddy member

=========================================================================
I am flying into Cairo with two girl friends for 9 days in April. We are totally overwhelmed with all the info on what's recommended to do and how to go about it... HELP!

We obviously want to take in the street life, history and culture of the country - but we don't need to see EVERY pyramid and every relic. Because of the short time we are there, we'd like to see the 'most impressive/interesting' sights. Suggestions?

We want to scuba dive, and spend a few days on a nice beach, and party at night. We'd prefer somewhere that's more idyllic than trashy, although not deserted, if such exists (images of stereotypical boozy British tourists in Magaluf come to mind.. ugh).

We want to see the desert - go quadbiking, sandboarding (if it's available), ride on a camel. Maybe stay overnight in the desert if that's possible. Also, is Mount Sinai worth the hike?

What would be the best order to see everything in, and what transport should we use? We are willing to budget heavily on this - we are young girls who can cope with a long bus ride. Speaking of which, what kind of budget should we be looking at for the whole thing anyway?

Thank you SO much for any help. I've been going nuts trying to plan this!
===============================================================================

So I decided to to post my reply as a review, may it help others as well.



I can start by saying that 9 days for the activities you want is very very tight … I don’t want to put you down , but just to set expectations.

Cairo

What to see
--------------
1. The Great Pyramids (The 3 famous ones at Giza) …. did I really need to say that 😊
2. Dahshur Pyramids
3. The Egyptian Antiquities Museum
4. Islamic Cairo (Give time to see the people as well as the mosques)
5. Old Cairo (Coptic Cairo) a swift visit can be enough … don’t miss the Coptic museum as it has most of the Antiquities

If you have more time, Saqara area (Pyramid, Memphis, Zoser Complex and other remains)

What to Do (Cairo)
------------------------------
1. Get a Fluka on the Nile
2. Drink/eat/sit on the Nile (just pick a good/wide spot)
3. On Islamic/Coptic Cairo, have time to look to the surroundings
4. Get a Shisha (pipe) on Khan el Khalely
5. Party on night (Number of live nightspots all over Cairo)
6. Attend a belly dancing show (if you didn’t before)
7. Drink fresh Orange/Mango
8. Eat Oriental food (Please don’t go to Mc)

This list can go forever ….

Beach
----------
For a budget, GREAT beach …. Dahab

You can get budget accommodation at any of the places looking on the beach, do Diving, snorkeling, ride a camel, party at night (mmm…you will know why later on), spend night at a dessert (have dinner on candle lights), …. not sure about sandboarding in Dahab but somehow I doubt it.

To do sandboarding you have to go west …to Oasis (or at least this is what I know) …and that is beyond 9 days trip

Everything you can do in Dahab can be done in Sharm in more fancy way …and of course it will be more expensive… Only night life in Sharm is unbeatable (you know now the mmm).

The difference between Dahab and Sharm is the difference between fancy and simple. Sharm is more life…Dahab is more pure.

Now, Mount Sinai …. Mmm … I enjoyed it many times … but not everybody do…the trip from Dahab or Sharm may take 1.5 hours avg… 3-5 hours to go up …. (if you are young enough…3 hours or less) … watch the sunrise …. Go down before you are burned…a trip inside the monastery…done.

Order?
----------
No preferences …. It will totally depends on your flights …can you land in Cairo and departure from Sharm for example ?

Transport
-------------
Cairo-Sharm …. Flights check the latest price at https://www.egyptair.com/

Cairo-Sharm …. Bus… many bus services available starting from 65 EGP …departure from Turguman Bus Station (Main bus station in Cairo) and other places.

Cairo-Dahab …. Bus… bus services available starting from 80 EGP …departure from Turguman Bus Station (Main bus station in Cairo) and other places.

Budget
----------
The hardest question …? As any Big City (or any city) you can spend dims or you can break a bank to afford it.

General speaking Egypt is really cheap for western visitors … to say a figure it will highly depend on how do you spend money …so instead I’ll give you a very very rough guide

Accommodation for double
Budget --- 25 $
Mid range --- 50 - $
High range --- 85$
Up Market --- > 100$ to …..

Food
Budget --- 1$ - 10$
Mid range --- 10-20$
High range --- > 30$

Drink (Beer/Cocktail)
Budget and Mid range --- 2$ - 10$
High range --- > 10$ (mainly this will be a cocktail not a beer)

Keep in mind that in shopping from street, Khan El Khalely or any touristy area ..or riding a taxi you have to use all your skills in haggling. But of course don’t do that in a café or restaurant (they will have a priced menu)


Accommodation
-----------------------
Ops, sorry can’t be a great help on recommending hostels … (never been to one as I am having my accommodation in Cairo already) but still can recommend areas to stay at.
1. Zamalek
2. Garden City
3. Down Town

Cairo is very big city … when you have doubt about the place … you can let me know if I can help.

Now what else …. Mmmm … of course this not everything about Egypt … so if you have any questions please let me know … Enjoy you stay.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb