Egypt: Why take 1 flight when you can take 3


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt
August 21st 2008
Published: August 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

After stemming the wee few tears at George Best International we sent Jim and Jennifer back to Markethill and pressed on to Stansted, Cologne and Eventually Cairo.

We breezed through customs, changed money and got our visas, and were out on the mean streets of Egypts Capital. We had negotiated a fair price for our taxi ride to Dahab Hotel and its ‘Rooftop Paradise’ and were rocketing along the M1towards it. It was like being an extra in the ‘Grand Theft Auto’ computer game. The Peugot 504 Taxi with Saeed in the cockpit weaved through the early morning traffic playing pinball with wrattle-trap buses, horse carts and a pizza delivery boy on his beat up moped. Lisa checked the details of our travel insurance policy numerous times as we made the 12km journey to downtown Cairo in under 3mins.

We knew that we were going to rush through Egypt like a hot knife through butter…turned out we didn’t need the hot knife…Egypt was hot enough. our Egypt trip had been slapped together by Aaron during the many weeks spent on Jim and Jennifer’s sofa, has that bum dent come out yet? We have been a bit slack on the blog front.. so here is brief reminder of why we came to Egypt (with accompanying pics).

- Pyramids
- Tukankhamun’s treasures and overpriced Mummies at the Egyptian Museum
- Chill and snorkel in Dahab & souvenir tee-shirt.
- Felucca (rustic boat with sail) on the Nile
- Valley of the Kings and Queens
- Aswan Dam
- Numerous temples

check, check check....

A few other personal highlights not in the tour brochure.

- Lisa’s Stevie Wonder impressions falling asleep on every mode of transport known to man, particularly annoying when I’m wide awake and she’s head butting people beside us…

- Aaron almost severing the fingers of a 9 year old Egyptian boy as he tried to sell braclets through the taxi window, by pressing the electric windows button the wrong way…poor boy was in tears and appeared to be mumbling a Jihad on Aaron as we left him behind in the car park.

- Lisa’s doggy paddle snorkel technique…

- Aaron having to recall first grade Maori after various Maori phrases being shouted by Egyptian men as he wandered around Upper Egypt…bit strange…then threatened with a one man Haka around a campfire which he avoided by falling asleep early on our Felucca trip.

- To sum up really the wonderful history and culture of Egypt which it’s been great to experience especially the ‘ripping and tipping’ culture exclusive to tourists!!

Where too next??... INDIA anyone????







Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



22nd August 2008

YAY another blog, well done! You guys are looking so brown already....I might have to slap on the baby oil in Africa so I can match your tans (damn your head start!!)

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb