Nile Cruise


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt
December 7th 2005
Published: December 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hello all

Our cruise down the Nile was spectacular. You would see all the lush vegatation on the banks of the river and then, just beyond the trees, you could see the desert. In some places it seemed to come almost to the banks of the Nile, and in others the vegatation was so think and full you could barely see the sand. The sunsets on the boat were incredible as well, and well there was the bar.. haha

We would cruise down the Nile, stop for the evening and then go sightseeing the following morning. We would check out the temple, look around the town a bit and then head back to the boat in time for lunch and some serious sunbathing. The first temple was the temple of Edfu, which is a little newer than the other temples we had seen, and is in fantastic shape. The ceiling is still intact, and it was really cool to see. It gave a much better idea of what the previous temples would have looked like with their roof. You walk through the massive main gate to a huge courtyard, and then into the main temple. Imagining the temple with the pictures and heiroglyphics all vibrantly coloured along with the gold statues and silver floor that would have been there thousands of years ago, I was just in awe. It was truly an amazing place. That evening on the ship was the 'fancy dress party' where we were all supposed to dress up like Egyptians. We all got into the spirit and the costumes were great. We danced to Egyptian music, played silly party games, and ended the evening with a few card games.

Our next stop on the cruise was the Temple of Kom Ombu. It was just off the ship, up some stairs and bang, there was the temple, it was great. This temple is a double temple as it was dedicated to 2 gods, one of them being the crocodile god. There are actually mumified crocodiles on display there, you could even see their teeth, it was crazy. The temple, well it was pretty much the same as every other temple, except that it was double, it was symetrically perfect, and very big. Some cool things about it were the fact that the courtyard was used as a hospital, in the hospital 'waiting room' you could see the outline on the floor for a board game the patients used to play while waiting to see the doctor, and on one of the walls there were heiroglyphics with all medical equipment depicted. It was really interesting. Our cruise was coming to an end, we were all very sad to leave the boat and the comforts that it contained behind.

Advertisement



14th December 2005

I live through you
WOW, I'm tellin ya, picture party when you get's back Miss ya

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb