Handling the hassle, sailing the Nile and discovering an Ancient World


Advertisement
Africa » Egypt
April 21st 2008
Published: May 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well we sure got what we asked for when we woke up on our first day in Cairo....sun! Southern Morocco was nice and warm but Fes and Casa were around 15 when we were there so we really weren’t prepared for the 40 degree heat that awaited us in Egypt. We booked a 9 day tour of Egypt, deciding that of all the countries we were visiting on this trip, Egypt was the one that we’d most likely be tha... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Kom Ombo TempleKom Ombo Temple
Kom Ombo Temple

This temple has two sides (which is apparently unusual). One side is dedicated to the crocodile god Sobek (there were about 300 crocodile mummies found in the area). Sobek is god of fertility and creator of the world. The other side is dedicated to the falcon god Horus. It was first built around 180 BC and was added to by other Pharoahs.
Us in a room at Edfu TempleUs in a room at Edfu Temple
Us in a room at Edfu Temple

This temple is the second largest in Egypt (next to Karnak Temple) and is also the best preserved. It took about 200 years to build!
The Ankh (sign of life in hieroglyphics) carved into a wall at EdfuTempleThe Ankh (sign of life in hieroglyphics) carved into a wall at EdfuTemple
The Ankh (sign of life in hieroglyphics) carved into a wall at EdfuTemple

You see this sign (kind of looks like a key) everywhere in Egypt. A lot of statues are holding it (usually by the circle end). It signifies, firstly the horizontal bar represents upper and lower Egypt (left - right) and the circle signifies eternal life (i.e. afterlife that the Ancient Egyptians so believed in). This is why the statues are always holding the circle part - so they can enjoy the afterlife.
Homeless Man at Luxor TempleHomeless Man at Luxor Temple
Homeless Man at Luxor Temple

photo courtesy of our friend Ashley. We forgot our camera and so he gave us a copy of his shots. All worked out quite well considering he had a nice new slr and took much better shots than ours ever could.
God of FertilityGod of Fertility
God of Fertility

photo courtesy of Ashley
Inside Luxor TempleInside Luxor Temple
Inside Luxor Temple

photo courtesy of Ashley
More of Luxor TempleMore of Luxor Temple
More of Luxor Temple

photo courtesy of Ashley
Sphinx Head outside Luxor TempleSphinx Head outside Luxor Temple
Sphinx Head outside Luxor Temple

photo courtesy of Ashley
Road of Sphinxes (?) outside Luxor TempleRoad of Sphinxes (?) outside Luxor Temple
Road of Sphinxes (?) outside Luxor Temple

Photo courtesy of Ashley. Once upon a time this road went for 3 kms and lead directly to the Karnak Temple. It was of course lined with Sphinx statues. The Egyptian Government is in the process of restoring this road and the statues that will line it.
Entrance to the Luxor TempleEntrance to the Luxor Temple
Entrance to the Luxor Temple

Photo courtesy of Ashley. The big obelisk you can see to the left of the entrance stands at 25m tall. There used to be another on the right side of the entrance but this now stands in Place de la Concorde, Paris. If you look back on our blogs we should have a picture of it. This was the square where all the beheadings happened during the revolution.
Look out John Wayne.....Look out John Wayne.....
Look out John Wayne.....

We rode from the Nile to Hatshepsut Temple (just over an hour). It was so much fun but we did feel sorry for the donkeys (they were so well behaved) - particularly Daniel's wee one.
Hatshepsut TempleHatshepsut Temple
Hatshepsut Temple

This temple was built for Queen Hatshepsut (or Hot Chicken Soup as known by tourists). Hatshepsut was possibly the most influential, successful and long reigning of women Pharaohs. She fought battles and won but during her 24 years mainly kept the peace and established trade agreements with neighbouring empires. She became Pharoah in 1479 BC and died in her fifties in 1458 BC. This temple is near the Valley of the Kings. Some time after she died there was an attempt to virtually wipe her from the "history" books. Her cartouches (royal name in hieroglyphics) were chiselled off the walls, statues etc in her temple were desicrated and thrown in a pit and her temple was buried. It is believed that the man succeeded her successor (if that makes sense), tried to eradicate her from the history books as he did not possess a very strong blood link to the royal family and therefore his role as leader was fragile. When they discovered her tomb, they could tell that it was a Pharoah's but had no idea how she fit into the big scheme of things at first.
Horus at the Hot Chicken Soup TempleHorus at the Hot Chicken Soup Temple
Horus at the Hot Chicken Soup Temple

Isn't it amazing that the colours can still be so vibrant after 3000 or so years! Also when they found Hatshepsut's mummy, to prove that it was in fact her they tested her DNA against her grandmothers (who they knew). Then to double prove she was who they thought she was they took a molar that was found somewhere in a royal box with her name on it and it fit perfectly into the empty hole in her gums.....bit gross but again amazing that the bodies are still so well preserved after .... 3000 years.
Valley of the KingsValley of the Kings
Valley of the Kings

Tombs were constructed here over a period of 500 years from the 16th to 11th century (BC). All in all there are at least 63 tombs here. The Ancient Egyptians decided to build here because there was a natural forming pyramid shape on top of the hill. Unlike the pyramids of Giza though, these tombs were actually built into the rock. Some of the tombs here are simply amazing. It was here that it really sunk in how ancient these monuments in Egypt really are. But the vibrancy of the colour and the delicacy of the artwork has stood the test of time. The colours in the tombs were almost as if they'd just been painted. Much brighter and complete than the picture of Horus at Hatshepsut before.
Tomb of Tutankhamun at Valley of the KingsTomb of Tutankhamun at Valley of the Kings
Tomb of Tutankhamun at Valley of the Kings

No photos were allowed actually in the tomb so this will have to do. Tutankhamun, while very famous now, was not a notable leader nor did he reign for long. It is the discovery of his tomb that makes him so important. It was the first completely intact tomb discovered, most others had had the treasure removed. This guys was embalmed etc as per usual. He was then put in a granite sarcophagus, then a wooden one painted gold, then a SOLID GOLD sarcophagus.... you can understand why the archaeologists got so excited when they found this one. His tomb now is fairly boring to be honest. They have placed his body (just wrapped in bandages, not in the sarcophagus) in a glass box for the world to see. It was pretty gross but kind of interesting to see how well preserved his body still is.
Another shot of the Valley of the KingsAnother shot of the Valley of the Kings
Another shot of the Valley of the Kings

trying to get a shot that shows how vast this place is.



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb