Monday - Karnak Temple


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Luxor
January 31st 2011
Published: February 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Karnak Temple - New Excavation 17 secs
2: Mud ramp 0 secs
3: Thicket of Papyrus 28 secs
Our tour guide, FatmaOur tour guide, FatmaOur tour guide, Fatma

Fatma was explaining the layout of the Karnak Temple
I've been home awhile but want to capture the final days in Luxor. On Monday, we took the bus to the Karnak Temple. This was the largest of the all the temples we visited. The Street of Sphinx that started at the Luxor Temple ends here at Karnak Temple. There were military trucks by the entrance. As we approached the first pylon (entrance) there was new excavation going on. They found bath houses. The pictures show 2 sets of round rooms with individual bath tubs in them. One was for men and one for women. The temple was amazing. This temple has the longest hall in all of the temples in Egypt. The Spy Who Loved Me was filmed in the hall. There is an area with column built to represent a Thicket of Papyrus.

We stopped at the Papyrus Store. They gave us a demonstration on how papyrus paper is made. They had hundreds of paintings on the papyrus paper. They were all beautiful. The police station across from the Papyrus store had their front windows shot out.

I tried to capture the large amount of ships docked at Luxor but the pictures do no justice.

In the afternoon we lounged around the ship and took a walk by the shops on the street next to the ship. We wait to hear everyday where we will be staying tomorrow, either on the ship or at a hotel. We are to leave Luxor on Wednesday. Howard and I have a flight out of Luxor direct to London thanks to his son, Stuart.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Getting closerGetting closer
Getting closer

It's a long walk!
This is the longest hall in all of the templesThis is the longest hall in all of the temples
This is the longest hall in all of the temples

The Spy Who Loved Me was filmed here


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0177s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb