Luxor


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Luxor
February 24th 2009
Published: December 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The city of Luxor was built around the 4000 year old site of Ancient Thebes. After 4 days in Cairo was amazing to be here in calm, relaxed Luxor. Took night train here, which was decent enough.
Thebes glory was 1500 - 1069 B.C. Visited Karnak Temple which was incredible. The Hypostyle Hall with its massive pillars and ram walkway to the Nile.
Did the Tour of the Valleys the next day. Started with the Collossi of Memnon, the two 18 m high twin statues, just sitting out in some farmers field. Next Deir al-Bahri, the funerary temple where the mummification would take place. It was behind this temple where a cave was discovered with 13 Kings inside who had been hidden by Priests from grave robbers centuries before. In the Valley of the Kings we hit up 4 tombs. Ramses I, VI, and IX, and Queen Tawosret. Ramses VI was the best but an additional fee, very worth it though to escape the crowds and see this incredible tomb!
The Temple of Luxor, right there on the NIle in the centre of town, across from MacDonald's of course. Built by Amenhotep III, has many pillars and statues of Ramses II.
Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

Ram Walkway, goes all the way to the Nile
Recommend going at dusk as you can see it in daylght, then they light it all up at night with coloured lights, so kinda fun to walk through it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Photo 3Photo 3
Photo 3

Hypostyle Hall
Photo 11Photo 11
Photo 11

Colossi of Memnon
Photo 13Photo 13
Photo 13

sarcophagi just laying about
Photo 14Photo 14
Photo 14

Funerary Temple of Hatshepsut
Photo 15Photo 15
Photo 15

Running the tourist gauntlet!
Photo 16Photo 16
Photo 16

Workers in Valley of Kings, make $5 a day
Photo 19Photo 19
Photo 19

Luxor Temple


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb