Egypt Explorers: Lovely Luxor


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Luxor
July 6th 2009
Published: September 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Egyptian Boy Selling FlowersEgyptian Boy Selling FlowersEgyptian Boy Selling Flowers

One of many children from the village in Luxor trying to help his family by selling flowers to the tourists.
Today we left our fabulous Nile Cruise and headed to our hotel in Luxor. Luxor is a lovely city that is clean and beautifully manicured with the Temple of Luxor in its center and the Temples of Karnak at its edge.

On the way to the hotel we stopped at the Luxor Jewelry Market. It was a great shopping excursion. The store had beautiful creations made of gold and silver in the form of many different designs representing ancient Egyptian culture like the key of life, the Eye of Isis, cartouches, and the sacred scarab.

We traveled to the hotel where we all decided it was time for a McDonald's run for lunch. On the way to the restaurant we encountered some children on the street who did not have any shoes and were very dirty. They said, "Madame, one Euro please!" They also begged us for shoes and kept pointing at their little dirty feet. I don't know how they stood walking on the scorching concrete. The temperature was 120 degrees so I can only imagine what the pavement temp was. We had been warned not to give them money, but I felt very sorry for them
McDonalds in LuxorMcDonalds in LuxorMcDonalds in Luxor

The 15 minute walk to McDonalds was well worth it!
and did give each of them one pound. They begged Missy for her super sized Diet Cola. There was a problem since two girls wanted the drink. She instructed them to share it, but the Egyptian girl who got it first ran as fast as she could away from the other girl, so she wouln't have to share it! When I saw that happen it caused me to think about how blessed we really are in the USA.

Later this afternoon we went to tour the temples of Karnak. We learned that these temples cover 200 acres and each Pharoah would add to them. Although badly ruined, no site in Egypt is more impressive than Karnak. It is the largest temple complex ever built by man, and represents the combined achievement of many generations of ancient builders. The Temple of Karnak is actually three main temples, smaller enclosed temples, and several outer temples located about three kilometers north of Luxor, Egypt situated on 100 ha (247 acres) of land. Karnak is actually the sites modern name. Its ancient name was Ipet-isut, meaning "The Most Select (or Sacred) of Places".

After the Karnak tour we went on a horse
Row of Sphinx at Karnak TempleRow of Sphinx at Karnak TempleRow of Sphinx at Karnak Temple

This led up to the entrance of the temple. They are still excavating them under homes throughout the village.
drawn carriage(Kalesh) tour of the back streets of Luxor and the village market. This area showed how the poor native Egytians survive from day to day. We saw their market, homes, and their daily struggles. It was a very eye opening experience.

Later this evening we had our tour farewell dinner with the whole tour group. We ate Italian cuisine in the hotel restaurant where we laughed, talked, and celebrated Missy's birthday for several hours.

By Michele



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Ramps at KarnakRamps at Karnak
Ramps at Karnak

Since this temple always had new additions, the ramps were left and it shows us how the builders got these huge blocks put in place.
Karnak TempleKarnak Temple
Karnak Temple

Free standing column
Columns at KarnakColumns at Karnak
Columns at Karnak

Original paint on the underside of the columns.
Karnak TempleKarnak Temple
Karnak Temple

Hieroglyphics on Hatshepsut's Obelisk.
ScarabScarab
Scarab

Legend says if you walk around this scarab seven times counterclockwise your wish will come true. Needless to say, I sat in the shade while I watched the rest of my group circle it!
Model of Karnak TempleModel of Karnak Temple
Model of Karnak Temple

This model is found inside the visitor's center at Karnak.
More ColumnsMore Columns
More Columns

Every inch of this temple was painted. This photo shows remnants of the paint.
RampsRamps
Ramps

Ramps were built to lift the blocks in place.
LuxorLuxor
Luxor

The streets in Luxor.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb