Luxor, Egypt


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Luxor
July 5th 2009
Published: July 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

FelixFelixFelix

ACE mascot, three-week old donkey. ANGELA: AVERT YOUR EYES.

July 5th: Sunrise on the Nile. Happy Birthday, Andrea!


Good morning to the Sky god from a felucca on the Nile - pretty tough to beat this sunrise - has to be in our top five ever!!

Man, do we all need a shower! Absolute zero wind required ninety minutes of towing to meet up with our landbased caravan that took us the final three hours to Luxor. Wow! HHI 6 at 10:00a.m. Does not bode well for later daytime temperature reading. Another HHI level may be in our future.

Visited the UK-based animal hospital managed by ACE (Animal Care in Egypt) where we all made room in our backpacks for 3-week old donkey named Felix who has already decided he's part of the people herd. Hands down the cutest thing on this trip, with exception only being the children of the Nubian family where we supped in Aswan.

Karnak Temple was next with its giant capitals, obelisks and temple remains. Our guide took us on a personal tour and the benefits of having an egyptologist/archaeologist conduct one around, particularly one who gets so passionately caught up in educating his followers (we were equally enthralled) that he forgets the time and pays recompense through glasses of sugar cane juice - is priceless. After delicious glasses of sugar cane juice, all but our guide opted for alcohol at the totally inappropriately named 'Winter Palace.' The word conjures images of pleasant or cool temperatures, fresh breezes, and cold drinks...let's just say that the Level 6 HHI and these images are mutually exclusive. NOTE: Martinis and margaritas do not translate in Arabic. by the way, if anyone has access to the arabic translation of the "Bar Bible", have we got a joint venture opportunity for you!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Obelisk of TuthmosisObelisk of Tuthmosis
Obelisk of Tuthmosis

When constructed was covered with electrum (combination of gold and silver)
Temple of KarnakTemple of Karnak
Temple of Karnak

There are approximately 186 columns in this temple - all with gorgeous hieroglyphs and cartouche
Winter Palace for a Cooling BeverageWinter Palace for a Cooling Beverage
Winter Palace for a Cooling Beverage

NOTE: Don't order martinis and margaritas in a Muslim country


Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0604s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb