Felucca on The Nile


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Kom Ombo
March 4th 2009
Published: December 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Photo 8Photo 8Photo 8

Sunset
For $37 USD we arranged a 3 day, 2 night float on the Nile. Just us and Andrew, Levier, and Brett, with a personal cook and driver!! This is great as we saw Gap Tours with like 20 people on the boat.
Anyways, we grabbed a couple bottles of Obelisk wine and a few beers and started our day. Amazingly peaceful floating the Nile on a Felucca. Just zig-zagging our way downstream, watching the world slowly go by!! Stopped at sunset for a freshly cooked meal on an Island and had some wine and conversed through the night.
The next day was much the same. Ended up stopping on an island with all the Gap tourists, which worked out pretty well, as they allowed us to buy beer off them! You wouldn't think you could get a chilled beer in the middle of nowhere!
The 3rd day we were dropped off at the shore and picked up by a minibus that took us on to Kom Ombo, a dual Temple of Sobek and Haroesis, dedicated to the crocodile god and the falcon headed god.
Went on to Edfu's Temple of Horus, dedicated to the falcon headed son of Osiris, from here.
Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

Elephantine Island
Took 200 years to build! Was only excavated in the 19th Century as was completely buried under sand. Actually a town on top of it! Wonder how many more Temples are out there!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Photo 4Photo 4
Photo 4

Our Driver
Photo 9Photo 9
Photo 9

Sunrise!
Photo 10Photo 10
Photo 10

Our Boat
Photo 12Photo 12
Photo 12

Sunset
Photo 14Photo 14
Photo 14

Security with machine gun having Tea!
Photo 21Photo 21
Photo 21

Camels
Photo 22Photo 22
Photo 22

Donkeys
Photo 23Photo 23
Photo 23

2 dudes riding a donkey!


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 58; dbt: 0.079s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb