Gunga-Cruisin' down the Nile


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Aswan
October 29th 2010
Published: October 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Cruisin’ the Nile
We have been on the Nile for the past two days, stopping periodically to check out the local temples. The ship, The Royal Rhapsody, is lovely, less that 40 guests and a lovely crew to keep us fed and entertained. What a way to travel. The Nile is beautiful, we went thru locks our first night out and then the river became much wider, The Nile runs South to North {we are traveling southward)and there is a large dam near Aswan and locks elsewhere to control the flooding. I am always at home on the water, this water is very mellow, smooth and a deep blue surrounded by the emerald green of the natural oasis that forms on the river date palms grow on the banks providing food, building materials and material to make rope. From the boat we see the daily life on the river, fishermen, farmers, donkeys, school children, all going about their daily routines.
Each temple visited outdoes the previous one in one realm or another, one is larger, another more advanced artistically, another more complete in restoration. We are learning of the Ancient Gods and their loves and battles all drawn out on the temple walls.

Sorry about the double story- I’m sometimes writing in an office file then have transfer to the blog- all the while losing connections….remember Mr. Patience is our friend.
Carolyn


Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0847s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 5; ; mem: 1.2mb