Aswan and Abu Simbel


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Aswan
April 5th 2010
Published: April 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We got into Aswan in the late morning after a nauseous and groggy (thanks for the Ativan, Renee!) train ride. We wandered down to the corniche (riverside road) where we met Abdul who took us for a nice long felluca (sailboat) ride. We spent some time shopping in the souqs (markets), grabbed some lamb and kofta (mmm, the food is amazing!) for dinner and watched the sunset over the Nile from the roof of our hotel.

The next day, we took a day trip down to Abu Simbel (just north of the Sudanese border) to see the impressive Abu Simbel Temple, which was built by Ramses II and adorned with huge statues of himself and a lot of symbols referring to his power. We decided that Ramses II (and likely most of all of the other kings) were all a little narcistic to build such large monuments in their name... We also saw the Temple of Hathor, which was quite amazing and had some really well preserved hieroglyphics inside... On our way back to Aswan, we visited the "High Dam" (which dams the Nile) which was thoroughly unimpressive but some of you enginerds might like it and the Temple of Philae (which has a really nice mix of Egyptian and Roman architecture).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb