Tales of the floating bed


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Aswan
March 19th 2009
Published: November 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After the past few days felucca bound I feel like an absolute crusty slug! 😊

Could it be possible to be more rested and fed? Basically the small traditional sailing boat is one gigantic floating bed. A bed for eight people with ample room to starfish. Delicious endless time to read and just fall asleep with no restrictions is ALL we have done. Lying back and listening to the Nile lap the boat is the only thing I have HAD to do.

At times as the book chapters merged into one I thought 'I really must turn over to see if the scenery has changed'. Deep breath. More contemplation. Pass me another pillow will you please. Surrender to snooooooze. This has been the pattern of the last three days but now I'm desperate to move.

After eating big carb attack meals consisting of potatoes, bread, beans, rice, potatoes, bread, beans, rice, potatoes, bread, beans, rice, potatoes, bread, beans, rice oh and bread I need to stand upright for some time AT least.

I became a voyeur of light changes. Sitting silently watching the mighty Nile reflect the subtleties of the sky. Sunrise easily watched from my sleeping bag as we where docked field side. Sunset a prelude to the fireside song of our sailing hosts. I have woken to distant Nubian Village percussion, braying donkeys and the drone of bugs. Farmers and boatsmen have passed with the currents. Smiling - sometimes waving, and also lost in time. We are so close to Sudan, the African spirit and smiling black eyes - this area feels timeless and untouched by modern cares. Like an earthy time warp we are priviliged to be welcomed through.

I have also developed a rather crusty unwashed shell. The river has been freezing and the winds cold as we are at the end of the Egyptian winter. So swimming aka washing just hasn't happend for any of us. The field stops have also been like visiting barnyards covered in cow dung so we've all become quite happily feral.

We've also managed to squeeze in some more history visiting the amazing Abu Simbel, Komombo and Edfu temples en route. Plus a magical sunrise hot air balloon over cane and wheat fields aside mud hewn villages.

After a brief Luxor stop now we are heading Northward back to Cairo on the 9pm train. Ready to tackle some Citadel history and the daddy of all bazaars in Cairo tomorrow, it's hard to believe I've ONLY been away for two weeks.Then the joy of climbing Mt Sinai at sunset awaits us as we head East!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb