Sleep? Who Needs Sleep


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Aswan
May 28th 2006
Published: March 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 5: Cairo to Aswan

Let's see.. Last you heard from me, I was in a cafe with hooka smokers and domino players, right outside the fruit market.. That night, we took a 14 hour train ride from Cairo to Aswan.. Definately not a sleeper car, we were in decent seats, but they kept the light on all the time. Leaving at 10pm, we arrived right at noon.. Checked into our hideaway next to the Nile. After a few hours rest, we headed over to Elaphantine Island and relaxed at a traditional Nubian home. We then went off for a nice camel ride across the sanddunes and ended up at another Nubian house with a fabulous meal. Nice relaxing day along the Nile, all the village children came and danced for us, then with us.

We came home and got an early nights rest, as the next day (today) would be hectic.

Day 6: Aswan to Abu Simbel and back

This morning, we awoke at 3am, so that we could catch our tour bus at 3:30, so that our tour bus could be part of the police convoy to Abu Simbel. It was a 3 hour ride along a desert road, we end up only 25 miles from the Sudan border, with plenty of protection. Here we saw the Temples for Ramses II and Nefertari. They were incredible. In fct, 40 years ago these temples were completely dismantled and rebuilt 150 meters from where they were before so that they would npt be destroyed when the Lake rose after buildng the high dam of the Nile. Amazing sites, amazing architecture from 3000 years ago and 40 years ago. We headed back for our 3 hour ride back to Aswan, where we just had anohter incredible lunch on a restaurant floating on the Nile.

Tonight, we finally get some rest, a traditional steakhouse for dinner and then back to the hotel. Tomorrow we head off for two days sailing the Nile in a falucca (Nubian sail boat). Should be a great relaxing two days, where we get to stop off into a traditional Egyptian village.

Until next time, probably Luxor.

~Dave

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb