Fun in the Sun


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Aswan
August 22nd 2018
Published: July 9th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Today we sailed, relaxed and swam along the famous Nile river in our felucca. We also enjoyed our evening sleeping under the stars.

The Nile

The Nile played an important role in shaping the lives and society of Ancient Egypt. It provided the ancient Egyptians with food, transportation, building materials and more. The river flows north through Egypt and empties into the Mediterranean Sea. The names of the two regions of Egypt, Upper (in the south) and Lower Egypt (in the north) come from the flow of the Nile river.

The most important thing that the Nile provided to the Ancient Egyptians was fertile land. The black soil along the Nile is rich and good for growing crops. The three most important crops were wheat, flax and papyrus.

Flooding of the Nile was through to be the tears of the goddess Isis, as she cried for her dead husband Osiris. Today the Aswan Dam keeps the Nile from flooding the modern cities.

Tomorrow we say goodbye to our floating home as we disembark from our Felucca. On our way to Luxor we visit the Temple of Edfu and in the evening we visit the illuminated temple of Luxor.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.171s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb