Southward bound


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Abu Simbel
March 31st 2007
Published: March 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Philae TemplePhilae TemplePhilae Temple

You can see some of the engravings on the building. They are literally everywhere.
The next morning was another early start as we were up to catch the 'tourist' train to Aswan, which duly arived an hour and a half late. We got to Aswan, and alas we were only in 4 star accomodation this time. It's a hard life. 😊 The temperature was again up around 35 degrees so we had a quick swim before heading off to see the Aswan Dam and the Philae Temple.

Overall I think we all liked Aswan the most as it was a fairly small city and the girls didn't get hassled as much. I don't know if I have mentioned it all that much, but the girls get all sort of comments thrown at them, regardless of what they are wearing. They guys could probably go around wearing a mankini and no one would say a thing. Odd society.

But back to the sightseeing, the Dam is bascally why Egypt still exists in the South. They used to get floods for four months of the year, which halted any form of work, so a very important building but not alot to look at.

The Philae Temple was out on a lake (a lake
View from Philae TempleView from Philae TempleView from Philae Temple

That's Hadrian's Gate. Those of you from England, same Hadrian who built the wall. He got around.
with a covering of diesel from all the tourist boats), and that was quite amazing as well. The common theme of our group seeing all this stuff is wondering why they could do that 4,600 years ago and it seems like we haven't advanced that much since then!

And again it was another night of sitting on the platform overlooking the Nile whilst taking photo's and drinking beer. For dinner, we went to the restaurant next door and it really only gets a mention because of the Lost in Translation moment. The top of the menu, the very appetizing 'Grilled Chicken with Herpes'. We know they worshiped their animals, but not this much! After picking ourselves of the floor, we realised they meant 'Grilled Chicken with Herbs'. So close.

The next day was down to Abu Simbel, so we were up at 3.30am. Despite the fact, we thought this was an April Fool's joke, we were up and ready and made the 4 hour trip down there. Alot of people have said that it is their highlight of the trip, and I can see why. Not just for the huge size and amazing art, but the amount of
SunsetSunsetSunset

Sunset over the Nile from our raised platform at the Hotel.
effort that was put in to move the whole temple piece by piece across to higher ground about 40 years ago to save it from the rising waters in Lake Nasser caused by the Dam.

Photos were not allowed inside and I didn't risk it this time, but bought the photos instead. You can see the photos from outside anyway. After a couple of hours there, we made the 4 hour trip back and relaxed the rest of the day, again in the pool and watching the sunset. If you see a common theme, here you may be right.

And to reward us for all the hard work we have been putting in recently we have the next 2 and a half days spent lying on a felucca gently rolling up the Nile. Or at least, that's the plan........

And special mention to the Black Cap's who have continued their fantastic form. 5 wins from 5, and also a huge 2-1 win for Leeds. Go the Black Caps, and the Mighty Whites!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Abu SimbelAbu Simbel
Abu Simbel

Me infront of Abu Simbel. I was trying to be the 5th god, but didn't quite work. It was too bright to see the camera.
Abu Simbel - just 4 gods this timeAbu Simbel - just 4 gods this time
Abu Simbel - just 4 gods this time

The outside of this massive temple
Queen Nefertiti's TempleQueen Nefertiti's Temple
Queen Nefertiti's Temple

The one next to it, which was also pretty impressive on the inside, just smaller.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb