A trip to Dahab City


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Sinai » Dahab
February 16th 2009
Published: May 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After breakfast Evy and I walked out to the main road to get a taxi to go to Dahab City, which is a few km away from the seaside town. Within a few seconds a car passed us and honked, universal signal here for “Taxi ?”. Few of the taxis are marked here and you will never find a meter, so you need to know the price. Fortunately, this guy was fair and accepted the going rate without an argument.
Dahab city is a bit of a disappointing place, with only a few low rise apartment buildings and little else. Near the post office, we found an ATM but still have a problem in that few of the ATMs in Egypt take our PC bank card, only our Bank of Montreal one. This is a bit inconvenient but we got our mailing done none the less and called our driver on his cell to pick us up.

Our hotel has a dive centre with good prices to get lesson leading to a SCUBA licence, so we stopped by on our way to lunch and I asked some questions. The price is quite good (about half it would cost in Canada) and you have the added advantage of diving in the Red Sea, one of the world's top dive locations, while you learn. We then checked out another dive place to compare prices.

Having found prices here a bit higher than Luxor, we bought food for lunch at a grocery store before heading back to do school work. We talked to our hotel, and have decided to book a trip to the St. Catherine Monastery and Mount Sinai tomorrow.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb