Departing Jordan for Egypt Africa


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Red Sea » Sharm el-Sheikh
April 26th 2008
Published: May 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

10:00 am arrive at the Aqaba, Jordan port to go to Egypt
Purchased ferry tickets and car paper work.
Boat is to depart by noon.
1:30 we were told that we may leave at 4:00pm.
5:30pm we are told we should expect to board with in ½ hour.
We meet a couple in the car parked next to us also waiting to board. The guy is from Yemen and the girl is from Palestine. Both are in their mid 20’s. He is very mellow she is a social climber (not a 8:00pm we board the ship
9:30pm we depart
The ship reached Nuweiba around 11:30pm.
12:00am, still on the boat.
1:00am, still on the boat.
1:40am, passengers who do not have cars departed the boat. Followed by the cars parked in front of the tour busses.
Side note: since most of the busses were loaded on when the boat was mostly full and now it is mostly empty it is much lighter and sitting higher in the water = a much steeper ramp. So now we wait for our car, still stuck behind the busses and watch this 1:45am dog and pony show. Either the front or the back of every bus is bottoming out on the ramp, ripping molding and bumpers off. We watch as all the geniuses dive under the bus tires and insert a wooden wedge or piece of rope to try and correct the problem. You just had to be there.
2:00am, we finally drive off the boat and park off to the side so some high powered x-ray that is mounted to a truck scans our car. It’s sort of like the x-ray at the dentist only it’s powerful enough to see thru your car and you don’t get a lead vest. We stand as far away as possible.
Next onto another area for more questions and more inspections.
As the car is searched and scanned and x-rayed Al is inside working on the paperwork.
2:30am, Al walks over to the car and informs us that since we do not have carnet (an type of insurance needed when bringing a car in from another country) we will not be able to bring the car into Egypt.
It is quickly decided that since Mo and Lisa have already made arrangements to tour Cairo and Luxor that Al should stay with the car. Mo and Lisa will try and find another way to Sharm El Shake and then fly to Cairo from there.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb