Alexandria - la Gastronomique Tour da force‏


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Mediterranean » Alexandria
March 28th 2009
Published: November 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

With only one day to spare for the town of Alexandria both Kate and I agreed, history could take a side step for the all important tour of the taste bud! la Gastronomique Tour da force was the obvious choice. Drawing a long walking loop from the train station along the coastline and back we chose prudently. Of each circled on the map establishment we had to either eat, drink, smoke or inhale something from the menu. Street food was also fare game.

Historically significant monuments where purely an additional bonus for the day. Museums where totally off limits - to go there would be to go against everything we where trying to achieve - the quest for the perfect day of food experiences 😊

Our 6am breakfast start went something like this*.........
*WARNING: the following could cause extreme salivation.

Cairo - Fresh falafel covered in paprika, tahina and lime with lashings of tomato and cucumber. The de rigeur of breakfasts I'm growing rapidly accustomed to.

Train station - Freshly squeezed carrot and orange juice street stall served by smiling toothless man. En route dried chick peas and salted pepitas from the train man.

ALEXANDRIA...

Sultan Huseein Awah or cafe - Shisha No. 1 with random sweet fresh lemon drink with generous sugar - sweeeet turkish delight taste.

Trianon - 1930s art deco mural painted den of chocolate paradise - selection of small sugary chocolates to keep us moving. So petite, so good!

Athineos Patisserie - A 1949 flash back in Greek time with lacy curtains and mamas serving pastry - cup of tea and small dish of pastry goodness had to be tested.

Street on the Corniche - fresh mussels scooped lovingly from a street vendor bucket.

Al Shark - A traditional Egyptian restaurant covered head to toe with plastic flowers and explosive coloured tiles. A plain rice and veg to tide us over. Wouldn't rate it.

Cafe d'Or - A winner of the day. 1905 Bar and Fish Cafe straight out of a crime movie from the smokey French era. Two Stella local brew beers to go with that Egyptain skanky Reggae thanks! 😊

Sofianopolou Coffee House - A huge sniff experience inside an antique store. Huge silver coffee grinders sat proudly amongst sacks of shiny dark aromatic beans. A true smell-sensation.

No name Awah - A pithy hole in the wall establishment oozing with the energy created by years of over enthusiastic backgammon games. We had to go in. Sheesa was shit - atmosphere 100%.

Greek Club - Our chosen sunset windy spot to soak up the view. Traditional choices of dips and bread to end the mission - totally yum! Garlic breath - mwah!

No name Awah - Final post dinner waiting for 8pm for the 3 hour train ride back to to Cairo stop. The sweet taste of apple sheesha was calling our names. It almost tasted healthy 😊

Alexandria = odd place tarnised by over population and a rubbished coastline. General delapidation central. BUT having said all that it's a great place for a food tour and if you like seafood you would be in Meditteranean Paradiso!

Off to the Big bazaar now - after over 3 weeks of haggling I'm ready to take on the big guns. Brooke will be here from Australia in about 12 hours so let the new Chapter Jordan begin!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb